Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Kaikoura yesterday, I arrived just in time to meet the howling southerly, there was a good chop on Limestone Bay. I caught up with Ginga here and we waited out the worst of the wind in our cars. After a short wait the wind died down and the rain stopped and we started fishing the wharf. Mullet quickly found the berely trail and Ginga was having fun catching them, around 4 o-clock a decent size something grabbed my mussel bait and a short while later I landed a decent size Moki. That was the highlight of the days fishing. A bit later a young shag turned up and started hunting around the wharf, it scared all of the mullet away. Thought about chasing it away but was entertaining to watch him diving about.

After dark the drizzle returned, which turned into rain. A few small fish were caught but nothing noteworthy. The rain lessened around 9pm, but I have had enough so decided to go home. .

yellowfin
    Participant

Too add to Miliwolfs post, Yes the weather was awful, fished the beach till the southerly showed up with just doggys and a couple small schoolies around, Only one worth keeping, Then the southerly hit and shit it hit, So after it cleared abit Mili got that moki and it was rather quiet but Enjoyable anyway,

Decided to go to slee about 10pm Only to be woken at about 1045 by a Police man, He asked what were i doing?, to this i answered taking a Break and nap from the fishing, i asked if that was allowed he said yes, Then he asked If the car i were in was mine, then asked for my licence, Even though i was not driving, He also asked if i had been in trouble with the police before, Im not too sure what he was on about but he then gave me back my licence and told me to have a good night, I guess just seeing a car parked there may have looked like it was dumped or something, but then again there were alot of people sitting around smoking pot in cars yesterday,

Anyways Woke this morning too see the rain had stopped so after getting a feed i went to railway while the sun rose, Only to get another dogfish, quickly followed by a red cod, and a small schoolie, then the dogs were back so i changed to a mussel prawn combo, after about 2 hours of not much my rod started to go mental, picked it up to find a very nice moki attached, delt to that and went back to fishing, an hour or two passed and yet again i found myself attached to a nice moki, delt to that re cast and seconds later, found myself attached to a just undersize moki, so released that re bait recast to with in amin find myself hooked into a red cod, few hours passed then only one more cod before i decided to pack up and head home to chch , Max speed from kaikoura to the conway turnoff i would say was 70 very very slow drivers and lines of about 50 cars, so i used all the straights and passing lanes to my advantage to then have next to no one in front of me till Amberley, Now i find myself here, In a slight Miliwolf post,

In all Not too bad of a weekend, the weather was nice today at least, Shame about the fish numbers, It aint what it used to be

Miliwolf
    Participant

At least there was more Moki around then last queens birthday.

Thats my Moki

“>
    Moki by xmilitarisx, on Flickr

yellowfin
    Participant

I feel if i had of stayed tonight i could have got more Moki and Cod, But had to come home,

Miliwolf
    Participant

Well yeah, the more time spent fishing the more fish you are likely to catch.

keenfisherman
    Participant

keenfisherman
    Participant

keenfisherman  Fished akaroa harbour wharf yesterday. Was not much action, caught some small dogfish (released). Also hooked and lost one unknown larger fish, was most likely a stingray as it just sat on the bottom for most of the fight, and when i tryed to reel it in the 20lb mainline snapped. Was a pretty slow day, but some dogfish is better than nothing, I guess. Was using squid and bonito for bait. And yes i got a new 3 piece rod it was good…

yellowfin
    Participant

so after a average trip to kaikoura a coule weeks ago unfortunatly i have decided to go back up next weekend……. fingers crossed the fishing is better

Miliwolf
    Participant

I might be heading back there next weekend to meet up with a few Kayak fishers, probably out from Waipapa rather then Kaikoura town.

yellowfin
    Participant

although it will be cold i will try and get some night fishing in this time

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent Saturday fishing Kaikoura, arrived mid morning to fine conditions, but with the Sun still behind the hills the temperature was a bit chilly.  Could not be bothered going out in the Kayak, so went spearfishing instead .

First tried at the Peninsula, got a few Paua and large Kina but did not even see a decent size Butterfish. Visibility ranged from 1.5-4m.

Tried a new spot near the Peninsula and discovered a lot of crayfish, the most I have seen. Many of them were tiny to borderline and with the females being in berry I did not really want to disturb and measure a lot of them. Did grab a big male (maybe personal best) which was hiding in a cave inside a cave.  Visibility ranged from 2-3m.

Then to the south coast, and broke my mask strap… Back to town and decided replacements straps were to expensive so got a new Mask instead. Dived Limestone Bay, visibility was decent in more sheltered spots, maybe 4-5m. Saw a few more fish but nothing worth shooting.

Just before 4:30, it was a race to the Whalewatch for a evening Surfcast. Rods out, mussel for bait, hoping to catch a Moki. The fishing was slow, with no highly desirable species being landed. Duckman and Ginga got a few undesirable species (Red cod, skate, doggies) using fish or squid for bait. On the positive side the weather was good all day, heard it got over 20 degrees (did not know that in the water). There was little wind which got a bit cold after dark.

“>
    Surf Rods at Night by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff milliwolf gald you good a feed

oompalompa
    Participant

love that photo

yellowfin
    Participant

HEY!!! lol they look like my rods, Wait a second they are mine!!

keenfisherman
    Participant

Bought 10 metres of green lumo tube on trademe for $10, gearing up for the summer season ahead.

Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.