Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Duckman
    Participant

Fished Conway again today 6 ele’s let a small 1 go and a schoolie, kept 5, biggest ele was 5.9kg and smallest was 4.9kg, busted off on 1, fished for 2.5 hrs and got bag limit

Miliwolf
    Participant

Must get down to Conway, What tide were you fishing and how long between the fish?

Went Surfcasting tonight, between 7:00pm and 11:00pm. High tide around 8:30, small sea and next to no wind. A perfect night for fishing.

First fish was a red cod :oops: , then Wayne got onto the Rigs, two big ones. Things slowed down then I started to catch Rig, first was decent size followed by a big one. Had more strikes and lost baits but that was it for the night.

Duckman
    Participant

Out going tide, goes dead at low tide but then picks up again, first was only 5 min’s after putting rods in, maybe 10-15 min’s between fish, excellent sandy beach.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Might head down there this weekend, was going to last weekend but was to lazy to drive further then Kaikoura. Its my favorite beach which I have fished south of the Clarence, and seems to produce good numbers of Eles this time last year.

Duckman
    Participant

heading there again wednesday arvo so will let ya know how i go, best fishing for me in a long time, will catch part of the in coming tide so should be really good

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished Pier Friday night. Lost what was easily the biggest fish I’ve ever hooked, a ray that looked to be over 100kg. After a few hundred meter runs into the shallows and north along the beach it started swimming back towards the Pier and then underneath where I got onto the 100lb leader and spent 30 mins hanging on trying to get it out but the weight, size and power of it made hard work getting it to the beach. Arms were giving up and rod was scratching on the Pier nothing much I could do so got someone else to hold the rod while I tried to grab the leader but couldn’t hold on and it went right under and out the other side before snapping the mainline.

Then went over to Diamond Harbour wharf with a mate hoping for some rig but no luck. Lots of lice and nothing on the big baits. Managed some mullet and small warehou, terakihi etc. Saw barracouta chasing fish and jumping under the light.

Fished Pier again Saturday but no luck with the rig, mate had a few runs but didn’t hook up. The rig seem to be getting a bit few and far between now.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sounds like a impressive Ray, I even have trouble landing the smaller models when they get stubborn, even more so on shallow beaches.

keenfisherman
    Participant

unlucky about the ray,zac, big stingrays take forever to haul in!100kg wow! :shock:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Forecast is looking to good this weekend for Surfcasting. Most likely would target high country trout instead :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Caught this fellow tonight, he is approximately 60cm long, and according to the length/weight chart should weigh 9lb. But it was in excellent condition, probably the fattest Snapper I have seen so suspect it would have made 10lb. So my first 10lb Snapper since the spring.

It was a last minute decision to go Snapper fishing tonight, I arrived around 7pm to mostly calm conditions. With just the occasional gust to ruin a otherwise pleasant evening. Tide was nearly dead low when I arrived, which created quite a strong current. The current quickly reduced in strength, but before that happening I had caught that fish. Put up a excellent fight and might of taken 60m of line, I find the smaller big Snapper (9-14lb) put up a better fight then the big old ones. After dark, not much happened, just a couple of pannies.

Duckman
    Participant

excellent catch milli

Miliwolf
    Participant

Now I only need to catch one double that size before the end of Autumn :)

HIPP
    Participant

Well done on your Snapper milli, nice one:)

fishforpot
    Participant

Dazza went to Bayleys spot X yesterday morning , 3 rig …. so they are still about ….

troutfishernz
    Participant

Winter species around Timaru now :x . Cought about 20 dogfish this morning plus 3 carpet sharks. Been a very poor season for Rig and elephant fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.