Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    troutfishernz
    Participant

Lost a good sized Ray at Caroline bay this morning, Took a heap of line then sat on the bottom for 10mins then when it took off again the line broke :mad:

yellowfin
    Participant

Finally got out and fished Pier last night. Got a small rig about 10pm, fished till 2.30am no more hits. Only other catches were a few small schoolies, doggies and a seven giller.

fishforpot
    Participant

Blues should be showing up soon Zac ?

yellowfin
    Participant

They were around this time a few years back, not sure if they showed up last year as not a lot of people were fishing that time because of the earthquake. First time fishing the Pier for a month but haven’t heard of any reports, I saw one swimming around off the end of the Pier start of last month. Think that year there was a lot around was a one off.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Last night went Snapper fishing in the Mahaua Sounds, landed a KY with my most cast and that was the only fish of the night. Pleasant conditions otherwise.

Today, up late and headed off to Kaikoura. Got there around 11am, Went Kayak fishing during the day. This story would be told in a different thread. Perfect day, was hoping to have a evening surfcast, scouted out a few new access tracks before deciding on a spot on the beach near Iron gate. Then I realized I forgotten my rod holders :evil:

Decided to go surf casting anyway, I had my rock spikes which can just support a surfcaster and my Kilwell has a sand spike… Got set up. lost two out of three rigs to snags on the first retrieve, so packed up and went home. So thats one spot I am not going to bother fishing again.

yellowfin
    Participant

I also have kissed a lot of gear goodbye up there much the same way.I think the best way to attack that suspect spot is to have a sacrificial sinker on tied on with light mono and one smallish hook that could bend / break if snagged .Perhaps no 2-3 size hooks.That foul ground is bound to have moki etc and little fishing pressure.Even a float and a single hook suspended the required depth may be the way to go.A kayak with rod holders would be even better.lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Unconvinced about the Kayak, Snags and break offs are extremely annoying when out on the water. Could work if you are able to anchor up in a clean spot of the beach.

I suppose, using a sacrificial stone sinker and hook would make it more fish able, it does look good. Might also scout it at over King low tide on a calm clear day (how often does that happen). If there are clear patches they are worth remembering.

Would love to fish where the Surfies go, but that would cause conflict.

Been told that this beach is the most productive one for Snapper in and around Kaikoura…

fishforpot
    Participant

I made a heap of sinkers that work awesome over foul ground …..like sand grabbers , but the grabbers come out the top , and the sinker gets hung up on tulips or part way down cracks between rocks ….often found the wires bend inwards on retrieve , and the sinker slides out on the wires ….8 wires like a spider ..hooked at the ends

I fish 80lb braid , with sinker on a short piece of 60lb mono , hook kept 4-5 feet above the sinker on another short piece of 60lb mono ….fishing high above the water helps , land based …. youd be better still out of a yak

Surfcasting over that sorta ground would be really hard work ..

Duckman
    Participant

6 Ele’s caught at conway flat today let one small one go, stoked to catch my first ele :grin:
    Caught on mister twister sand/surf crabs and squid, lost 2 that busted off

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good job Duckman, ele for dinner..nom nom nom :wink:

elmo22
    Participant

well done duckman thought the eles would be gone by now a great fish to eat dont over cook it and it will be nice and juicy

Duckman
    Participant

thanks m8, yeah fried a couple of small bits tonight and yip very nice, i think they could still be around into late autumn, read somewhere

Miliwolf
    Participant

Last easter I heard of good catches of Eles from Conway… So they seem to be about down there this time of year.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went Surfcasting off Kaikoura, and caught my first Surf Gurnard. Think I stole your Gurnard spot Fishforpot. Was only fishing for a couple of hours. Then thick fog made it difficult to see my rods so I retreated to the wharf for the rest of the night where I caught a couple of undersize Moki.

Saw a 56cm Moki which got caught earlier in the day. Seen bigger while diving, but its a good size for a rod caught fish.

fishforpot
    Participant

Bloody claytons north islander – leave my carrots alone lol

Fished Baileys this morning , first time since January… was an awesome lightning storm out to sea but lovely conditions on the beach
    Dogfish were there in numbers , no ele’s …a few red cod , a small rig about 7.30 am …..8.30am I caught a rig about 16-17lb …30 mins later a mate caught one about 16lb …..both cows and did NOT want to be caught …… went dead after 9am …..packed up around 10 ..

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.