Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Rough and dirty is good. If it’s to calm and clean usually the rig aren’t feeding. Just need a bit of swell to stir things up but not enough to make it un-fishable.

Miliwolf
    Participant

From memory I still catch Rig up here when its calm, although these normally a slight confusion on the water, never seen the ocean mirror flat.

Can not remember if I posted this or not…

Friday night fished the breakwater at the Waikawa Marina, saw plenty of Rays cruising pass. Had a couple on my snapper rod but they both threw their hooks. Heaps of bait fish.

Saturday night myself and StPaul fished Karaka point, sent out a livebait but nothing touched it, nothing touched the Snapper baits either. Both nights around 10:30 I headed over to the Marina and tried for Squid, I blanked. But Paul caught a couple. Hunting them was quite a bit of fun, something a little different.

yellowfin
    Participant

nice….. outfished mili? gee thats no good…. still unsure if ive ever seen you catch a fish yet…….

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks zac how long are the rig around for?

yellowfin
    Participant

mainly the warmer months.. id reckon amonth or possibly two months more then they will either slowly go or nearly be gone

Miliwolf
    Participant

Think they should still be around in April, maybe even may…. I sometimes re-read the old listings to see whats about over the change of seasons.

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

but i didnt see you get that kahawai lol i just saw you walk back with it

St_Paul
    Participant

I’ve seen him catch quite a few, tends to throw away perfectly good squid jigs though :grin:

PierMaster
    Participant

mili beat all of us in the kais comp lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished Pier tonight. Got 1 small rig. Light southerly so sent out a dead mullet under a balloon, came back with a small schoolie on it. Sea still flat calm out at Brighton hopefully some swell picks up a bit by the weekend.

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive said this on here before …….the most full on rig fishing Ive ever experienced was on a Saturday afternoon , just after lunch and without a cloud in the sky ……the sea was so clean it was more purple than blue , and as flat as a lake ….
    Lob out a claw and you were hooked up before the bail arm was back over …..it was insane

It was an Pendarves , water is a tad deeper than Brighton ….which may well be a significant factor …..

So dont be put off fishing flat clean seas , especially to the south of Banks Peninsula

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished Pier on Friday night. Windy as and rough. First cast crab bait, 15lb rig. Not much happened for a while then a 9lb rig and packed up for the night.

15lb

9lb

Had a look up at the Pier Saturday night, same windy and rough but lots of weed in the water and drizzling, so headed over to the fishing wharf at Lyttelton for a bit, got kicked out at 9 because they close the gates. Went round to governers bay for a look, but the jetty is closed off with earthquake damage. Went for a bit of a drive and ended up at the Diamond Harbour Wharf. Cast out the same trace and crab bait from earlier and within 10 minutes hooked up to what felt like a monster rig, headed towards what looked like rocks and rough bottom so tightened the drag right up, still didn’t stop then the trace snapped. Thought it must’ve taken me into foul ground but after inspecting the trace it had snapped at the dropper loop. Same 80lb trace I used to pull up a 15lb rig at the pier the night before. Cast out again had a few small hits then finally hooked up again, 10 minutes later as I was trying to land it my other rod went off with a seven giller. Got the rig up the stairs then landed the giller.

Rig weighed 22.5lbs, my first over 20lb.

After that the sea lice got really intense, baits were lasting literally 5 minutes in the water. Did have a long slow run on a whole mackerel which was most likely a stingray but dropped the hooks when I put pressure on. Cast out some small hooks and caught a mullet and a warehou, some of the area around there could have potential for moki.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Good photos Zac.

Went down to Timaru today, Beach was to rough for fishing with a 2m+ swell so went around to Caroline bay for a fish. Sea was dirty and rough but still fishable.
    First cast hooked something that felt like a good sized Rig but got off :( . Then caught 2 small conger eels.

One of the eels

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Nice catches from Diamond Harbour Zac, wouldn’t have thought you would get those that far inside Lyttleton. Definately opens up the options :) Thanks for posting.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Have heard it’s a breeding ground for rig around that area, well around governers bay anyway. Plenty of crabs around there.

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.