Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent the long weekend in South Westland, mainly around Haast. But went surf-casting at Bruce Bay both on the way there and home.

On Thursday night the sea was quite rough, and my baits were being stolen in minutes before it got dark. After dark I caught and landed a few small sharks.

Last Night, fished there again with Booger. The sea was calmer, but the swell was a bit large at times. Fishing was slow, when I noticed one of my lines were slack. So started reeling in what I assumed was a small shark, on inspection I had caught a nice Sea Run trout. Thats a first for me on the surf caster. Fishing was slow, with nothing touching the crab baits nor the stuff Booger was using. As it grew dark a few small sharks, then around 11pm had about a 10 minute battle with a large School Shark, managed to beach it twice but the gentle sloping beach and powerful surges made it difficult to retrieve. On the second landing it bit through my 80lb trace. A big Kahawai followed and we packed up at mid-night.

Booger caught a small shark also. Everything was caught on fresh-ish kahawai, all other baits were untouched.

The other days, I spent Kayak fishing. On Friday found a large school of Kahawai in Jackson bay and had fun catching them for a few minutes. Probably a hookup every second cast and they were big. After a while changed to a different site further up the coast where conditions were a bit bumping. Caught a turkey and a wrasse but returned to the beach once I lost my anchor. Saturday returned to the spot further up the beach, got onto a productive Cod and Turkey spot and caught then released a pile. Then went for a very long paddle out into the ocean trolling for Tuna, but only found dolphins. Returned to shore, and fished the Cod spot again, caught a pile but only kept 5 which gave me 2.3kg of fillets which would last me a while. Sunday was a lazy day spent trout fishing, and paddling upto a lake. Caught nothing, saw more fishermen then fish.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nice catch zac where do you buy a crab pot from?

yellowfin
    Participant

trade me. or you can made them your not allowed pots off the pier but you can make your own drop net style thing rip the handle off a butterfly net put 3 or 4 evenly spaced lots of line on it connection to a single point connect it to rope put bait in it and drop if over the side

yellowfin
    Participant

I was surprised that nothing was interested in prawns or freshly killed crabs at Bruce bay. Had a broken line on a rod that had squid, not sure if it was from a fish or stone bruising of the line (forgot glow sticks so was fishing blind).

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah those homemade butterfly net thingees work good, I have sinkers on mine so it doesn’t move too much. You usually only have to wait a couple of minutes before getting crabs as long as your bait isn’t too old and flavourless.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

oh yea forgot too say have sinkers on it too lol can usually get enough bait in about 20min-1hr usually i also have a colapasable trap which i chuck into the estuary (END OF ROCKING HORSE) road at low tide with bait in just chuck it from the bank have a rope attached to it to pull it in and leave it in for about 15 min once the crabs are in the area you will get em pretty fast and just like half a kahawai or some crap like that in it

yellowfin
    Participant

There are a couple of guys that fish comercially in the harbour and have been doing it for yonks.They set long lines for rig.Big hauls

fishforpot
    Participant

Before WW2 there were 4 commercial fisherman fishing exclusively in the bottom of the harbour , for ele’s and rig

One wonders how healty the fish would be from there , or how healthy the person eating them would be lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Wish the commercial cunts would leave some parts of the sea alone for recreational fishers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for all the info guys much appreciated :).are the fish out of lyytleton harbour ok to eat?e.g rig,eles

yellowfin
    Participant

Must be if they are commercially fishing in there. I filleted the one I got the other night although have heard of some pretty bad looking rig caught closer to the port.

fishforpot
    Participant

If there’s $$$ it will be caught and sold …I dont think they have to account for the exact spot fish are caught …..

But , seeing as the fish would swim in and out in a few hours , I cant see any issue ……

HIPP
    Participant

Fished Coopers Lagoon beach last night full moon and all, till about 10.30pm, One Dogfish ! and that was it, a guy just along the beach got something that went back in just on dusk.

Twas a nice night when the wind dropped, very supprised that we havent had a good night on the Rig yet, we have fished way more than we have in passed years, with 3 rig between two of us in the bag.

Chances of getting a few in the freezer for winter is looking slim, getting a bit brassed off with it now.

Bit of amish trying to buy crabs this year so have been relying on prawn which is the past has been good bait, with the eleys taking them too it seemd quite versitile, so for the remainder of the season I think I will stick with crab if I can get me mits on some, no time to go catch my own. if any of you have spare that you would sell, I would buy $20 to $30 worth, fresh or freshly frozen dropped to my work on Mooorhouse Ave or I would collect from a city or western chch address.

I guess I will have to keep on trying,….mmm maybe I need to sacrfice a small goat or something on the beach to appease the fish gods:)

Good to see some of you are having better results, Cheers Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Hipp, Its illegal to privately buy/sell Crabs .

Busy evening, caught heaps of Kahawai in a local river, including a few big ones. Later drove to Picton and tried for squid with st_Paul but we both blanked.

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.