Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

fishing of the pier do you use surfcasters or boat rods with strong line thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

This pic was in the New Zealand fishing news, it was featured in an article about hot spots on surf beaches. As I have said before, the water between the outer sand bar and the beach is a deep channel/gutter that runs along most of the beach’s length, these areas are fish highways after dark and are full of pipi and tuatua…I catch pretty much all my surf caught fish from this type of water :) “>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Kev. Elmo it doesn’t matter too much IMO unless you want to cast far off the end, and it pays to have a very long leader so you don’t lose a big fish when lifting it up to the pier.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

third time out im on the board nice cow ellie off timaru had chicken thawing its back in the freezer fish an chips tonite lol

Giller
    Participant

Also on the board now,out this morning at 7 am on the beach,results between me and my dad. my 2 ele’s 8.94lb & 9.08lb.
    dad got slammed by a large rig,19.80lb.then i got onto a large rig but hook dropped out of its lip when in the wash when was about to have trace grabbed.Oh well,thats fishing.Nice result for a morning .

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Went fishing with Greg last night at Amberley Beach, each of us got a nice rig around 12 to 13lb perhaps, didn’t have scales. Here’s my one.

Had two other hook ups but lost them behind the breakers, one felt resonable whereas the other felt like an averagely sized fish.

Cheers
    Aaron

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went to St Andrews today.
    Cought my first ever Sevengiller which was around 4ft, Also lost a Ray or Skate in the surf.
    Saw some small Elephants taken down the beach from me.

Took home the SevenGiller. anyone know if there good Eating?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went to my Snapper spot, found a iphone on the way there, then caught a small snapper, then a very small reef fish thne nothing. Went home around 10:30pm.

fishforpot
    Participant

Spencer Park this morning , finally got around to having a cast lol ……first one got hit but no hookup …..2nd cast caught an ele …..
    Went down the mouth , caught 3/4lb of fresh bait for tea , stopped on the way back for another cast , 18-20lb rig ….
    2 more casts and nothing ….gave the rig away , kept the ele ..lovely day out

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fished Pines Beach, yesterday morning and end of afternoon as well as this morning. Caught nothing but a few crabs. Hooks were being cleaned by them so I decided to add a float to my rig. Stopped getting crabs but go nothing else either.
    Was using Prawns, the crabs I caught and some shellfish found there. People around me didn’t seem to be catching anything either and I talked to some blokes who were fishing closer to the mouth who caught nothing either.
    Beautiful day though, specially yesterday.

elmo22
    Participant

your are one very lucky fisherman fishforpot. you have the touch lol

fishforpot
    Participant

I wouldnt call 3/4 “three quarters” of a lb for 5 hrs baiting as lucky …… unless you read it 3-4 lb lol ……

As for the fishing , luck doesnt play much of a part , reading the beach , bait presentation and selection are fairly important …

Oh , I did throw a second bait in this morning , inside the gut , the crabs were feeding in there something shocking ….the fish were caught in open water …
    Having gear balanced for a very long cast helps on the shallow beaches , expecially during the day …..ele at 9.45am , rig at 3.30-4ish pm

Was a cracky day down the beach today for sure ……

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Pines beach last night with my brother, nothing for the first hour then within half an hour I pulled in an Elephant Fish, a rig then another Ele. My very first Elephant fish and Rig ever caught!!

I_TRY
    Participant

Good one Boomslangnz, had the rig but still waiting on the ele..! :?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Took the Sim card out of the Iphone I found and its a T-Mobile, so its a tourist Iphone. Sadly I do not think these anything worth savaging from it…. might attach a hook and use it as a jig one day :D

fishforpot

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.