Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

Was thinking of calling in and having a look what was happening at the pier after i got back from kaiapoi mullet fishing at around 10pm but the missus wanted to get home so next time maybe.

yellowfin
    Participant

How did you go withthe mullet fishing??? and where did you go in kaiapoi?

rdeejay
    Participant

Not as good as i hoped for only caught 3 good whole bait sized. The occasional rice and fish oil blend burley in the water kept them around biting all eve, hooking the little blighters was another thing, my mate is a trout fisherman and ties his own flies so is gonna make me up some even smaller flasher hooks.
    I tend to go down the end of raven quay, tends to be quieter down there.

yellowfin
    Participant

From my experience mullet fishing after dark is pretty crap. You might catch the occasional one, but not as many as you would fishing in the day. I remember many times fishing at the wharf at Timaru, and once it got dark the mullet seemed to disappear, but if you shined a torch at the water there was literally thousands of them swimming past right near the surface, but they didn’t seem to be interested in any bait.

Also what size hooks are you using for the mullet? I use a rig with about 5 or 6 size 10 trout hooks, and just tiny bits of salted bonito or chicken heart, and always seem to have way better luck than other people fishing at the pier. Don’t really know why, I’ve seen other people fishing with really small hooks and small bits of bait, but they never seem to catch much.

rdeejay
    Participant

Funny thing is i’m using #10 hooks as well, now while the bigger mullet will happily get on no sweat it’s the smaller blighters that i’d rather have for whole baits that can be a little elusive at times. I grew up in Timaru and spent many a weekend as a kid down the wharf, always used to like trying to catch mullet swimming around under the wharves and there was always heaps of red cod around back then with the odd small trevally and salmon coming in close around no1 extension.

yellowfin
    Participant

ye i fished down there alot as well nearly got crushed by a tree that fell over there last year it wasnt even windy the base of tree was rotten and i heard a crack then the tree was right in front of me lol. i never seem to use overly small hooks for mullet as i dont go for the smaller ones i try go get bigger ons usually for the cat or to eat myself lol havnt been for a mulet fish for a while was going to go yesterday but other things got in the way (sleep and drinkking) i actually get quite annoyed wth catching the smaller ones at times. catch alot of mullet at bmx track although alot of people can be there at times and off the boat remp at mandiville bridge as well

Miliwolf
    Participant

When I fish for mullet in the sounds I just use a un-baited sabiki rig and jig it around for a while. Never use any bait and always catch plenty. Takes to much time to bait the tiny hooks.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

For the last couple of weeks all I have been catching or have seen caught for bait down at the Dunedin wharves are sprat, mullet have all gone :(
    I always seem to catch tonnes of mullet when they are around but sprat seem more eleusive….

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

Your original guess was right. Wharf at grove arm.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Seeing that these forums have been dead the last few days I decided to visit seaview and write a catch report.

The Wellington hills were amazingly clear, I could even make out colour and land features. Never seen them so visible before, I was shocked to see a strange island sitting in the middle of Clifford bay….

The sea was calm and there was next to no wind.

Tide was out going and approaching low. I fished from 7-30pm-9-30pm.

Tried prawn, Crab, Pilchard and mullet for bait.

Caught nothing during the hours of day light, Another surfcaster also caught nothing while I was there. That was to change after after dark….

What is red, enjoys pilchards and lives off Seaview?

Answer: Red Cod, and a sickly one at that. It took ages for me to find the right colour code.

There was also a massive flash campavan parked at the bottom of the cliff, wonder if it would get stuck down there…. Could become a local landmark :P

yellowfin
    Participant

Still amazes me you’ve only caught 2 dogfish the entire season. When did you catch the ray?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I caught the ray last week in the QC sounds.

I caught heaps of Dogfish during September and October but they seem to disappear with the arrival of summer. Also caught several large KY during spring but they also disappeared with the summer water. .

I mainly use prawn or crab for bait which dogfish rarely take.

Been using for fish baits recently hoping for a east coast Snapper, but still no dogfish. I guess they have lift the shallows :)

HookLineSinker
    Participant

So im guessing you didnt catch reed gurnard milli, so how many cod did you end up with?
    Reminds me of when i was single and studying i use to spend many countless hours sitting down at the beach just to wet a bait and catch cod spinys and all sorts (while i should have been studying but hey i didnt need that there were fish to catch lol) although this was severalyears back and i use to be the only soul on the beach day and night, that was before the flooding of posts and grapevines and the expansion of seddons population.

Yakkaman
    Participant

In the Waimak Kairakei end i catch heaps of mullet and small kahawai on squid lumo sabiki just jig it of the shore but more fun off the kayak.I agree with Zac, salted bonito or chicken hearts but got to be small hooks and firm bait otherwise sprats nibble it off.

At the pier i fish in calmer spots between 1/2 way to 3/4 the way back inshore small flasher rigs same bait, size 10 hooks.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.