Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I’d say you could get them anywhere as far south as Taylors mistake area in the peak of summer. From stories I’ve heard people have even hooked at least one off the Pier around Christmas time. If you can get them around Christchurch then there’s not reason why you can’t get them in Kaikoura area.

elmo22
    Participant

went to kaikoura on thursday night but to windy to put out my tinny so did nothing, firday was ok in the moring so got my tinny ready to go for a fish, as i was pulling it down to the water i stuffed my back so only fished for about 2hrs got 2 sea perch and 1 blue cod, came home..water was a bit murcky

yellowfin
    Participant

i heard saturday waas crappy there with bad swell etc my boss was uup there and filled his fish bin in 30min with perch cod taras and acouple of trev said sat wasnt flash so they got pissed instead. may head up with him in a few weeks as well after ive moved pads

St_Paul
    Participant

milliwolf wrote:
    [quote:2rbl5iuq]Were any of them decent size?

Most of the ones I been catching have been less then 3lb, have not caught a blue back on the fly this year.

Yup couple of bigger ones, most around the 3lb range.
    Saw a huge school running out yesterday afternoon very large ones up to 3 kg but they weren’t feeding at all. Did manage one before the run would have gone about 6lb.

Mal
    Participant

Went for a fish north of Kakanui on sunday, warm norwester blowing, caught 1 good elephant & about 5 grey-boys between two of us, not much action until after the high tide, the greys had mullet in their guts while the elephant had been feeding on very small crabs, we were using squid for bait

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Seaview from 7:30pm to 9:30pm. The tide was incoming and probably high (8:15pm). I fished into the darkness. I also believe the moon was raising around 9pm (Moon was 93% decreasing full).

I caught three Rigs of around 3-4kg using paddle crab for bait (my first rigs from Seaview). I also used Cooked prawn, Mud Crab, Pilchard and Red Cod but the paddle crab was the only one to catch fish. There was a little interest showing in the pilchard..

Sea conditions were calm with a small swell, there was little to no wind, the sky was slightly overcast. The water was clean with no dirty section near the shore. It is certainly pleasant down there during a weak southerly.

I was the only person on the beach all night, quite surprising considering the rare perfect conditions. I was kept company by a large Seal which I initially thought dead but was indeed sound asleep. I woke it when I walked up to it for a closer look. The seal stayed on the beach all night sleeping most of the time. Hope its not sick.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Was down at the salty last night, 7 til 9.30, conditions as mentioned by milli above, in fact they were too good for fishing. Fishing was very slow, tried several different baits many not even touched. Managed a small red cod on dusk and a 3.5kg rig after dark for the freezer (caught on paddle crab). Put the pot out and caught sum more crabs for bait too. Had a couple of hits on other crab baits but failed to hook up.

Good to see you caught sum rig down there milli promising must be a few more down there than in the past as i never use to catch them down there, and have caught several down that way myself this season which is a good sign i guess, looks like seaview is the hot spot then like iv always thought, it holds plenty of good sharks and now the rig are there too it makes it even better and then there is also the chance of moki and gurnard there too.
    Did you catch your fish before or after dark? And do you take them home to eat or like catching them just for the sport of it?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have found the fishing quite slow at salty lately so decided to try a different location. Plus there was a crapload of weed last time I fished there. My next fishing trip would be to the Blue Slip hoping for a Moki.

The Rig were distributed throughout the evening, the first was around 7:45pm and the last just before I left after dark.

I take the occasional fish home to eat, but currently have a large stockpile in the freezer so been releasing any which look like they should survive. Probably should of kept the last one I caught because the hook was dangerously close to the gills.

If I caught a Blue Cod, Gurnard or Snapper I normally keep it.

Was there anyone else fishing at the Saltworks?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ok yea was just wondering, um i was the only soul down there last night. The weed is all on the beach rotting now.

Miliwolf
    Participant

k. With a bit of luck todays southerly would wash it all out to sea. (In reality it would deposit more on the beach :x )

Miliwolf
    Participant

The big swell did not occur :P

Clifford bay is looking nice this week (Sunday to Wednesday). Kekerengu is still looking a bit big.

Heaps of S NE, SE, SSE and ENE winds in there. Apart from one NW all of these winds should be calming the chop I believe.

Could be the best fishing week of summer :) . Would largely depends on how much the sea breezes pick up but the Southerlies might keep the temps low enough to keep them weak.

yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t think the beaches around here will be any good for the weekend. Might possibly fish the pier on Saturday till dark. Hopefully there wont be as many people around since it’s a bit colder and windier. Hopefully there’s not much seaweed around either.

Has anyone fished the pier this week? Should still be some good size rig and schoolies around hopefully.

rdeejay
    Participant

looking at swellmaps i know i definitely wont be at birdlings. Zac i wouldn’t mind giving the pier a go, but i’ve never fished there and wouldn’t mind going there with someone who knows the ropes up there, i live on the way to new brighton, pm me :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Abbreviation game :mrgreen:

Just gotten back from the W at GA, I used frozen P and fresh M for bait, I fished from 7:30-9:30pm.

I caught a R which put up a good fight, followed shorlty by 2 S of good pan size.

It was overcast with occasional burst of wind. The S were caught during the hours of daylight. The tide appeared to be quite low…. Moon was decreasing full.

Its the first time I have caught a S and a R while Surfcasting :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Just got back from the Pier, fished from about 6 – 12 PM. Caught a couple mullet, then got a really good size rig a while after it got dark. Only saw one other rig caught, both were female, around the same size, and had babies in their stomachs. Hooked another two rig pretty much the same size, but lost them. Also hooked a good size schoolie and lost it. Didn’t see much else caught, other than a barracouta caught on crab bait and a couple small schoolies and dogfish.

I think I better go back to normal hooks after loosing heaps of fish on recurve type ones. Also the 5/0 Mustard Kahle hook got bent right out of shape after catching that rig, so I probably wont be using them again if I’m targeting sharks or anything big.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.