2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Fished kaikoura yesterday ( again) fishing wasn’t too bad, sea was decent though not as clean/calm as last week , managed 3 red cod half a dozen skate a doggy. A crab and a greyboy of 54lb, my mate got a cod and skate , water got a bit dirty so wet for a kahawai search where once found I got well over 50in 3 hours, not nearly as action packed as a week ago but still fun

shark slayer
    Participant

a few kahawai today and lost another salmon right in front of me again..probably had 200 casts to hook it so was pretty pissed off haha should of known better than using 6lb and light gear in a big swell,the fight was to long and eventualy the hook pulled..thats a pretty decent tope there ginga good to see they have turned up..hard angry fighters,did you get a photo?

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea it’s on the Facebook page

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Kaikoira from early afternoon to just before 6pm. Was a bit misty when I arrived but it slowly cleared, weather was actually quite pleasant. Caught a couple of Kahawai, a Gurnard, dropped another and a couple of Doggies. Then I run out of suitable bait. Sea was a bit rough south of the Peninsula but was quite calm between the whaleway station and Sawdust pits before becoming bigger towards Hapuku.

On way home called into Wharanui and tried for Moki, but lost all my gear after three casts so gave up and went home.

yellowfin
    Participant

paddled out to the farms on satarday……..no bites in 3 hours despite putting a nice burley trail down. missed the tides completely though!!

crabbedoff
    Participant

started fishin for the season last week plenty of rig around gota couple at motunau last week and one at the hill at amberly tonight.
    quite a few havnt hooked up, the 10lb one tonight gave a real scrapy fight thort it would go at least twenty till I seen it.
    looking forward to a good hit by an ele.

yellowfin
    Participant

Curse the north east wind snashing into temuka at the moment.
    Fished most of the w.e
    Not a bite not a touch except by crabs.
    Absolutely gutting.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Perfect weather in Kaikoura today, and that typically means lousy fishing, and that was indeed the outcome.

Arrived at my spot around 2pm and tried spinning for a while with no luck, so checked out the rivers on the south side. Sea was bigger and again no luck spinning. So backtracked and got my surfcasters out and soaked baits until 6pm and not even a doggie to show for it. Around 5pm sea gulls started to patrol where the sea changed colour and I thought a workup might develop but that was not the case. So around 6pm decided to check south bay again, that side has also calmed down nicely. First river mouth was dead, so moved further down the coast and was quickly onto Kahawai, shortly after arriving saw their fins out of the water like a school of miniature sharks. In the distance there might have been a small work up also. So had a bit of fun until the weed washed in so I decided to head north to photograph the sunset and try for a Moki 700m from the rocks off the northern end of Mangamaunu beach. Quickly lost my first sinker (these heaps of weed off that beach). so was down to the last rod for the last half hour or so of light. Was getting late so headed for home around 9pm.

TLDR: Perfect weather, few fish.

shark slayer
    Participant

bayleys beach yesterday evening..2 rig 1 red cod 1 tope…oh well.any day now the eles will show

shark slayer
    Participant

bayleys this eve..1 big kahawai on raw prawn..at least dinner is sorted..you been trying beameer?

chchlandbased
    Participant

All quiet…. anyone know how the sea is Birdlings Rakaia way today? Swellmap shows it ok, but a btch driving 70km for nothing

beameer
    Participant

:smile: Yep ss i been out got 3 rig at bayleys night before last haven’t had a elle yet my lad is out for the week so may get lucky then

shark slayer
    Participant

no luck on the eles either huh..i am hoping for this week aswel damn work keeps getting in the way..need to get off my arse and get some decent bait..mite do an all dayer..i have found for some reason at bayleys early season they seem to feed aroround lunchtime..may try further south sunday morning ..working tommorrow damn it!

shark slayer
    Participant

chch landbased the sea should be all good mate or fishable at least..alot of people will tell you the water has to be calm and clear for eles but nay they will feed in the churn..easterly chop is particularly effective!

troutfishernz
    Participant

Just got back from fishing east of Temuka, was pretty quiet with heaps of crabs stripping baits as soon as they hit the water but managed to catch a few Red Cod around dusk plus had a big rod bender but messed up the strike.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.