2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 409 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 410 total)
  • Author

fishforpot
    Participant

Completely whole heartedly agree with SS re torpedoes ……a lot of the guys that Ive come across or know with them never used set nets …some are new to fishing and have gained enough knowledge from sites like this to make large dents in fish stock …

5 hook limit is fine by me …as well as a bag limit of 2 of anything ….

Once Oct is over the rods will be dusted off ……whitebait for 3 weeks first ……by Christ the Heathcote was alive today ..saw some guy with at least 40lb , and he was creaming it non stop when I left ..

elmo22
    Participant

makes you cry when the maks got bugger all in it at the mo, new moon tomorrow so hope some come, got a week of work was going over the coast to karamea but the weather is looking very wet so will bait down at the mouth of why-mac for the week

Duckman
    Participant

Went back up to NapeNape, 1 rig and an ocropus, i let my son wind in my rod and wham a reasonable rig, so it’s his first ever rig

Miliwolf
    Participant

That octopus looks delicious duckman….

I suspect quite a bit of poaching is done with torpedoes. Anyone who just wants to feed their family can catch more then enough using rods. They are not common up here in Marlborough, the last one I saw was snagged on a offshore rig :lol: . Long lines are banned in the Sounds which probably also discourages people from buying them.

yellowfin
    Participant

sounds like we should get out on that boat of yours ss…..i could show you how to catch moki….lol. seriosly tho, their not so hard off the yak so i cant see any reason they should be off a small boat…

shark slayer
    Participant

i taught you the ways of the surf young grasshopper,now you must teach me the ways of the kayak fisherman,haha but seriously we will definitely take the boat out.its cool when someone shares a bit of knowledge..

yellowfin
    Participant

ahhh the plan is hatched!! sounds like a goooden to me! just have to wait for the fish to arrive en mass.

yellowfin
    Participant

just blended up all last summers leftover prawns and froze the slime into 8 x 1ltr blocks for burley…. combined with fresh stomped mussel, i recon i could be onto a winning formula!

Sevengillz
    Participant

Whats the best conditions for conway? obviously no wind but whats it like in a west nor-west gusting? Might head that way in the morning if shes a bit rough at the shark hole.

yellowfin
    Participant

nor west is best i imagine , but swell is more important…… its 2m at the moment….which is quite big…………………check swellmap,http://www.swellmap.co.nz/forecast-maps

shark slayer
    Participant

they are already here,but i reckon 2 weeks and the moki domination should commence!..i make my own burley aswel,paua,mussel,kina and paddle crab all minced up..i went past conway today,the swell was up but its blowing northwest wich flattens it off and the swell was settling tommorrow should be sweet there..good rig to be had there..

fishforpot
    Participant

Was some powerful swells at the Mac mouth today …I’d not bother with Conway tomorrow myself …..I’d mow the lawns ……hahaha who the hell am I kidding …..I’d play golf or go whitebaiting before even looking at the lawn

yellowfin
    Participant

Love reading everyone’s reports, last year was my first attempt at surfcasting and I was lucky enough to get one rig, an elephant fish, a skate, reed cod, and copious amounts of dogfish. It was great fun at the beach relaxing watching the world go by.

This year I feel more organised, I have tied about 20 traces that I keep in individual bags with a swivel on top and a link swivel on the bottom where I can just attach my break out sinkers.
    They are all tied on 40lb mono and I use 20lb mono as my mainline.

This year I have been out once and caught a couple of dogfish and a carpet shark.

I am heading out tonight and going to catch some crabs this afternoon so I can target the rig.

Keep the photos and posts coming, great reading!

yellowfin
    Participant

I went out tonight to Browns Beach near Timaru.

Very heavy surf but pretty clean, lost a little bit of gear due to gravel/wave action.
    I ended up going to a 6oz breakaway and that wa able to put me past the breakers.

We caught a few tope and some dogfish. Not much was really happening. I wanted to catch a rig but I hear there are a few tricks to that and as a beginner I havent learnt them yet!

Great night out, cleaned up a bit of rubbish off the beach, a few broken bottles etc.

Better than sitting at home doing nothing!

Next time we go out ill take the camera for a few pictures.

Tight lines

Miliwolf
    Participant

Welcome to the forum unhygenix, and good job with your catches.

Rig are not overly difficult to catch. The main tricks to improve catch rate.

– Use either crab or crayfish for bait.
    – Fish change of light into night (although they can be easily caught during the day)
    – They do not mind dirty or discoloured water.
    – Vary your casting distances, I suspect sometimes they stick close to the breakers, other times they are further out.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members