2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 409 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 410 total)
  • Author

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went to browns beach for a couple of hours this afternoon, Moderate swell with some serious rip, 4oz bos wasn’t holding overly well. Fished anyway and managed a small Rig on Cooked prawn a small Tope and few doggies.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Went out late this arvo with Kahawai on my mind . Gusty nor-west winds with showers here and there . Caught an average size skate on the rig rod , released that then caught a fat Red on the same bait . Banged out some pillies on the other rod with the hope of a Kahawai or two but the spikys dealt to that so was a change to prawn and mussel combos on both rods . Caught a nice Rig about 100cm long on the mussel and that was binned for my dindins.
    As I was cleaning that one up the second rod bloody near went flying through the air it was hit that hard . The beach spike got up-ended and I just managed to grab the rod before it hit the deck . Line was peeling and after 5 mins or so the biggest Rig I have ever hooked was kicking up a storm just behind the breaker , the bastard took off deep then ping . It has obliterated the 100lb trace and I was left a bit lip-down about losing my personal best .
    It was hard to say how big it really was but it made the 100cm model look like a wee pup . I could feel the line slip a couple times before it broke so it must of taken a couple of wraps . Bit of a shame but hopefully it managed to break free of the trace .
    I managed a wee tacker on the last bait so he was released and I buggered off home .
    The two I landed took mussel baits ,the Skate and Red Cod took the prawn .
    Looks like rain all weekend……Ideal 8)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sounds like you had some good fishing, I have not been Surfcasting since mid August.

smells like fish
    Participant

mild fog all day 2 of us fished top of tide at Tihaka beach southland got 7 doggies and a large red cod,all returned.About 3 hours fishing 2 rods.Beats sitting round home all day.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Miliwolf

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

Perfect weather and good tide so decided to go for a Snapper fish.

Arrived at my spot shortly after 5pm, water was dirty, probably from all of the rain so was a bit off putting…. but I decided the Snapper would be busy sniffing through the dirty water looking for a feed so I still casted out a few baits… Initially the wind blew enough to be annoying and kept me feeling cold, but around dusk the wind died down and the temperature was pleasant. Around that time one of my rods bent over and the reel was screaming. The fish put up a good fight, and thanks to head shakes I was fairly confident it was my first Snapper but thanks to the dirty water I had to get it in close until I got a confirmed ID. It was a good size Snapper so its fairly safe to say the Snapper are now feeding in the inner Sounds again.

Did not take much care in taking the photo, so its quite blurry. Probably out of focus. For a size comparison the bottle is 1.5L.

<a href="“>

Sevengillz
    Participant

hell yeah good snap . Snapper season open! :grin:

Anonymous

hey nice fish Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

nice snapper thomas!

smells like fish
    Participant

just got a crab net.can you use any old smelly left overs/bait to catch paddle crabs.

Its one of the nets that they need to crawl into (3 entrances)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Short answer yes, but I always had poor catches when I used freezer burnt bait… Probably the fresher, and oiler the better.

fishforpot
    Participant

Yeah nice snapper milly …..I speak for many of us when I say “we hate you” lmao ….

Dazza got to Baileys yesterday morning with a mate ….. they caught 5 Rig ….16-14-10-8-8 lb …..
    Good to know they are here in numbers ….hope the eles are not far behind

shark slayer
    Participant

yea nice snaps mili,you bastard haha :grin: .nice to see the rig showing up in the surf..need to get my internet connection sorted been really slack on the posting i hate using the phone to do it..have had 30 sea runs so far..pretty over it biggest was 16 lb,time 2 hit the surf,have had a few rig in the last week ,went to kaikoura on the weekend got my first moki of the season heaps of kahawai and my first octopus.. :razz: will get my internet sorted so i can chuck up some pics..the good fishing is here boys

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thats a good size trout.

Really must target them myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members