2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 409 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 410 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Excellent bit of fishing!

shark slayer
    Participant

nice fish guys.. :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Tried a spot I often thought about, but never got around to fishing until last night.

Arrived a bit after 7:30 to a cold steady northerly blowing a good chop onto the beach, but was not cold enough to send me home. I quickly realised the beach there was extremely shallow, which left me wishing for lighter line to gain extra casting distance. Anyway, soon had two prawns soaking in the sea while I waited for a bite.. which was provided by a medium-small Rig, then another one of similar size after dark. No sign of Moki which was the target species. Stopped fishing just before 10pm.

Was quite a few blue bottle jellyfish washed up on the beach, quite common for that area this time of year. Might do a overnight trip there later in the year… would love to photograph the Milky-way above the Cape and light house.

“>

Edit: This photo better shows the waves
    “>

yellowfin
    Participant

Spent a few hours at Birdlings on the way home from Akaroa. got one nice blue moki and a Barracuda. Caught both on squid and caught them within minuets of each other but the rest of the time was really quiet. Nice to catch a feed.

yellowfin
    Participant

I like the pics Mili. Very cool!

elmo22
    Participant

went out to balieys after work on Firday got there about5.30.pm was fishing at 5.45pm on my first cast got a small rig, then next cast got a medium size rig watch put up a good fight and did a couple of good runs it was hard to bring in cause it had tangled it self up in the line and I was dragging it in side was. I thought I had a monster on. lol. fished for an other 1.1/2hr and nothing then my rod bent over and the line peeled off couldn’t get the rod out off the holder as there was to much weight on it, as so as the first run stop I got it out and started to wined it in as soon as the fish felt the weight on it away it went again,i went down the beach about 20mts then back up the beach and finely manage to get it up onto the beach ,WOW I said to myself and a few other good words and a pat on the back ,it was a bloody good size rig It is the biggest rig that I have caught I didn’t have any scales to weigh it but head and gutted it went 14lbs so I think it was about 16-17lbs and the length was 1400mm I stayed the night out there and fished Saturday morning, 6.00am was fishing again and was expecting the rod to bend over any minute but nothing so change to pipi on one rod and got 3 dog fish each cast so went back to crab, stopped at 9.30am with no bite and came home so a bloody good firday night fish a very bad sleep in the cab of my truck and a nice pleasant morning fish Saturday ..

yellowfin
    Participant

Big shout out to Shark Slayer thanks for a wicked w.e had a blast !
    And hope the cold smoked vac packed lives up to the rep.
    Thanks again mate.
    Kaikoura trip soon. :)

shark slayer
    Participant

all good donnie..nice relaxing weekend..next trip is slaying time!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Roger that

HIPP
    Participant

Awsome Photos there Milli, quite the tallent….havent been out much…went to birdlings on the 30th jan and my friend caught his first moki, 50cm long, we had it for dinner that night, very tasty…we also kept a larger wrass type fish, but it was quite flavourless and watery but worth a crack…..good to try a new spot and get on to a new species….Tua Tua was the bait that caught the moki, a few mullet were landed by my mates young fellas and another guy caught a few things next to us as samll Moki was released by him…..not sure if I posted about my re visit to the coast where I got my snapper….results were grim, nothing doing over a two day effort….havent been out much this year, but its not over yet, will get out at least once more beore I start on the salmon. Good to see you guys still at it, cheers, Hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

nice moki and nice wee ele there sevengillz..congrats on getting your first.. :grin:

Sevengillz
    Participant

lol yer thanks :lol: Its a bit of a deal cos out of the thousands of baits Ive put out there over the years ive never caught one , I dont know anyone that has caught one there and the old joker next to me reckoned he’d been fishing this stretch for 30 years and this was the first he had seen so yeah lol hopefully its a sign of change , more fish and the more desirable species moving in . Hopefully it goes the other way too and the spiky dogs f*ck off for good :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good going on the Ele Sevengillz, I been wanting to catch one for quite a while but have not managed.

shark slayer
    Participant

I don’t think they would of just moved in..would of been there all along..the more selective species can be fished around for years and never be caught it’s all about right bait right time of year and right time of day..eles change there feeding habits at different stages of the season…there are some real good ele spots up your way….

Sevengillz
    Participant

oh no doubt , where theres one theres got to be others but they definitely arent here in the numbers that ya get down Canterbury and the likes . Next to no reports at all would suggest there is actually bugger all here .

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members