2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 409 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 410 total)
  • Author

Duckman
    Participant

Went to NapeNape for a surf cast and holy shit, an ele first for me for the season and caught on a home made flasher rig baited with Trevally

troutfishernz
    Participant

Good catch Duckman.
    I have the afternoon free tomorrow so will probably go to St Andrews and try for one myself.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice ele there duckman well done,was wondering who would be the first to score and where it would be,did not expect nape nape on trevally haha,have had a few tries myself but no luck yet..hard to tell from photos but looks around 9lb?

Duckman
    Participant

Thanks guys, didn’t weigh it, was grinning to much lol, heading back up friday

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice Ele Duckman, think I would try and get down to Canterbury (probably Conway) and catch a few this year.

crabbedoff
    Participant

conways generaly better for the ellys round easter there milliwolf . wana hit baileys first in early December then slowly head north .baits need to change for different areas too for best results

fishforpot
    Participant

I wouldnt get too excited just yet , Ive mentioned before an ele taken at Nape Nape in July …I wont be heading out to chase them for at least 3-4weeks ………Mind you , driving along Spencers to the Mac each time I head whitebaiting I do stop and see whats being caught on the torpedos ….So I will know when they are here in numbers .

Bad news is tho , the number of torpedos just keeps increasing , and people are learning to target the good species .

Great effort all the same ….

shark slayer
    Participant

torpedos should be banned or have a 5 hook limit imposed(not that it would be policed well should just be banned)generally it is idiot types that use them and they thrash the shit out of it,its called a rod and reel people,learn how to use one..i also think rig,eles.and tope need the limit dropped to 2…the eles at conway show up way before easter mate easter is the time it gets raped hence why people seem to think that is when they are there..its not neccesary to change baits at different locations they all feed on the same stuff,cooked prawns,shellfish etc will catch elep anywhere if they are there,the flasher rig probably helped your success duckman,ian got one last year on a flasher rig with no bait on it!

yellowfin
    Participant

the guys using torpedo’s probably used to use set nets…..similar mentality.
    didn’t realize ele’s liked prawn too ss! wen’t over to birdlings this morning….no bites ! beach is littered with ele pods.

shark slayer
    Participant

yea prawns work well,especially cooked,the pods you see washed up are old,the eles down here dont start spawning until mid novemberish,did you see someone else down there ollie? my mate tried this morning but no luck,im probably wont fish it much this year it has become way to popular for my liking..

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished east of Temuka this afternoon, Sea was calm and slightly colored, Manged a few small Rig and Tope around 2kg, plus a Carpet shark around 25lb which is the biggest Ive seen.

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah there was a fulla there he was fishing far too close to the rocks can’t see how he wasn’t loosing all his gear! i’ll probably give it a go from time to time…but i’m hard out looking for something on my doorstep this year…also i got a good few on the kayak last year so i may not be down there often!

beameer
    Participant

fished bayleys this evening scored a nice rig conditions good great to see some nice fish around this early.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good job on the rig beamer.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice rig mate..good to see some old forum members returning aswel,numbers have dropped since fagbook came along.. wasnt meaning you ollie..hopefully i bump into you on the beach soon wouldnt mind having a chinwag and asking a question or 2 about your kayak techniques,realy wanna get em happening off the boat so i can use trout gear and let them realy show there fighting ability.. :grin:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members