2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 410 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

spent sat afternoon at Birdlings, caught 1 nice kahawai on squid. sea was calm with a slight on shore breeze. missed one good hit as the rod bend put to much pressure on the rod holder and couldn’t get the rod out.

fishforpot
    Participant

A report from Dorie this morning , nothing but doggies …. 1 ele head on the beach from last night

Solar Lunar calender was bad – seems it was on the money again lol

chchlandbased
    Participant

Thanks for the info SS, agreed, today was flat calm but nuttin but doggies and schoolies down Rakaia way also. Water was dirty though. Same place yesterday with more swell, light easterly and cleaner water and got a nice wee ele, and no shit fish.

crabbedoff
    Participant

went coopers lagoon tonight bloody turned southerly early blanked. the dick next to us with the contiki got a couple of eles way out on the last hooks then let his kid stab up all the sand sharks and doggies left them,their beer cans bait bags and f*#ked off,top work :evil:

shark slayer
    Participant

its a shame the beaches are frequented by fuckwits like that crabedoff..i would have made them pick there shit up..slept in yesterday so didnt do an early morning ele sesh like planned,went down for a look around lunchtime tho, a few ele heads on the beach from earlier in the day..should have got up!haha

kaituna ian
    Participant

I was down at birdlings Saturday night ,caught a conger late on and a red cod earlier my mate had a rig ,Quite a mixture but no doggies

elmo22
    Participant

went to spencer park last night and put a set line out, walked out till my waders were nearly filling up and droped a weight with approx. 15 hooks on the line and then took other weight out on the other end and dropped that, went back at 5.30am this morning to get it , walked out and got my float but had trouble pulling it up as it has buryed in the sand so was a bloody battle to get the weight out so my gummys got water in them, pulled up the line and all baits gone but no fish, think I had one on as one of my traces came back with no hook on, had crab,herring and pipi for bait, and a bloody hell of a tangle mess of line, set it in a nice channel that would be deep once the tide came in at night,, any one got thoughts on why I got nothing as I heard that some people with a torpedo got some very big rig last firday

fishforpot
    Participant

crabs , or lice …. set the line in the dark and recover it before or on daybreak and you can eliminate crabs

elmo22
    Participant

in the dark, i’m afraid of the dark lol

fishforpot
    Participant

It’s also possible there was no rig or ele’s feeding in close that night , you may have hooked a mullet , kahawai or doggie on the missing hook , and something took it and the hook …..Ive seen a blue shark caught along there in a setnet laid in ankle deep water at low tide , retrieved on the next low of course ..seven gillers also feed along there .

I’d try again for sure ..

Miliwolf
    Participant

I would not leave it set overnight, I would retrieve and check it after a hour or so. If there are fish around they going to find the bait sooner rather then later.

crabbedoff
    Participant

+1 you probably hooked a rig or ele but it is a long time to keep them on a hook without pulling it

shark slayer
    Participant

agreed..overnight setting is pointless your baits will last an hour max anyway..plus any hooked fish will either get off,get eaten,or die and get liced out..plus if a school of eles came through you could hook large numbers and they would go to waste..better to use a rod and reel..more chance of catching anyway because you can keep fresh baits ticking over and much more rewarding and fun.

elmo22
    Participant

yes fishing with rod and reel is much more fun but cant always do it,so when the tide is right I set a set line, have done this about 4 years ago and thought it was time to do it again with the same result, so don’t worry about me catching all the fish done this twice in approx. 4-5 years and not got a fish, but I still had fun doing this, and this time the wife came down the beach and help bait the hooks so was a nice drive down the beach and an evening out with the wife (not her idle of a night out) lol,, will try again and set it and pull it up after a hr or so but will have to run a thick tow line to my truck as it will be to deep to walk out and get it like last time

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out last night, I managed to get three ele’s in about 45minutes on squid. Two beauties and a smaller fish.

I kept two and let one of the bigger eles go.
    It was a beautiful night, trout fish first (blanked) then ele once it was dark.

Finally on the board for the season, I forgot how much of a fight they put up. Great fun

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 410 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.