2013 sping/summer surf catches.

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 409 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 410 total)
  • Author

elmo22
    Participant

went out to bailyes last night got there at 5.30pm and fished till 9.00pm very quite there only got 2 small rig, not worth taking home,so didn’t, sea was very clam and flat and clean to clam and clean for rig by the look of it, got 1 very,very small dogfish hook was as big as it, got a lot of crab bites but they didn’t clean out my baits very quicky.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Gotten quite a bit behind in my trip reports. Here is tonight one.

The sea was choppy, the wind was gusty and cold and the fishing was as good as dead, but at least the sunset was pleasant to look at while fishing Cloudy Bay tonight.

“>
    Surfcasting Clouday Bay at Dusk by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    Sunset over Wither Hills by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Went for a Snapper fish in the Sounds about a week ago, conditions were cold and windy but it calmed slightly after dark, Caught one large Ray which tangled both of my lines and a small school shark. A first from that location. Been a tough year chasing snapper so far. Because its been tough I might not have been putting in as much effort

Would hopefully write up my Waitangi Weekend report within the next few days.

yellowfin
    Participant

Rig fishing been good round timaru and temuka lately been some goodies taken just after dark on crab and prawns

crabbedoff
    Participant

went to kaikoura lastweekend had a look up the hill but only seen goats so hit the beach for a fish .gota couple of moki in a rough muddy sea .the missus got a nice 580 ,getn sick to death of her out fishn me haha .

smells like fish
    Participant

put the crab net in a quiet bay and got 6 small paddle crabs then drove over the hill to tihaka beach.First bait out 5 mins later the reel began peeling line out (luckly I had the drag set lightly).50 odd metres down the beach and a few mins later a nice rig.

used the rest of the bait up,no more bites.

oompalompa
    Participant

That 2nd photo milli is a cracker. Love it

yellowfin
    Participant

Very cool pics. Good work!

troutfishernz
    Participant

Had a fish around Timaru today, few doggies and a small red cod.
    Plus snapped my Trout rod on a large unknown fish :evil:

yellowfin
    Participant

Hehe trout rod hope it was a tfo… Not a shimano or somthin that doesnt have a lifetime warranty

Miliwolf
    Participant

The Forum been logging me out as I was trying to post recently, hopefully it does not do so this time.

Fished Kaikoura last night and today, the fishing was fairly slow with a Conger caught last night and Red Cod….

This morning started promising with a decent size Moki but then the fishing went dead. Packed up and went home at 9am.

Clear sky last night, which meant it got cold. Luckily around 8pm a gentle northerly picked up which lifted the temperature slightly.

“>Surfcasting – Kaikoura, New Zealand by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

troutfishernz
    Participant

went down by the Timaru wharf for a fish and dumped about 15kg of fish frames and old bait, thought it might have attracted some fish but fished for an hour and only got 1 dogfish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Haha

smells like fish
    Participant

went for a fish out the back of riverton yesterday.Tide was going out and it was flat as .Launched a 8oz weight with the bait launcher out about 170m 3 times and caught nothing.On another rod with a 5oz break out sinker I cast about 80m and caught 5 spotty/spiky dogfish,was hoping for a rig but looks like ill need to wait for the water to warm up a little?

shark slayer
    Participant

they dont show up on the surf beaches down south until early october..you would have a better chance catching them casting proper just behind the breaker(50-70m)and also if you were catching doggys that means you wernt using crab wich reduces your chances dramaticaly.

smells like fish
    Participant

cheers for that shark slayer.So where do they go?Out in the deep water to spawn is it?

Love eating rig but draw the line at doggys,and they fight (if you can call it that) like a wet sock.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 410 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members