2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

They are often called poor mans crayfish. Never eaten one myself.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Ive caught the odd Stargazer(monkfish) in the past and it is very good eating, Its quite expensive in seafood shops.

Thanks for the info about Crabs and Rig Shark slayer a very detailed post there.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have talked to a few people who said they were targeting them, one of the them was standing on the rocks at Kaikoura casting into the kelp and weed. Saw a massive one once while diving for crayfish at Ward, thought about stabbing it with my knife but decided not to.

yellowfin
    Participant

i have caught the odd gazer here and there, have seen it for sale in the supermarkets but usually go for something different

shark slayer
    Participant

southerly blowing today so headed out for a rig fish,got a nice rig of around 25 lb on the first cast,got it right by the rocks and grabbed my leader to pull it in….ping my clip gave out and off she swam with my good trace and breakout..F#CK.not worried about losing gear it’s the fish im worried about,probably a 50 50 chance of survival,hopefully she throw’s the hook.Got alot of hits that were not hooking up,they were quite timid today but managed another one on a cocktail of MUSSEL AND TUATUA?haha
    never had that before.

shark slayer
    Participant

getting sick of these pictures,have no idea why its happening,it does it when i upload more than one at a time.how do you delete a picture off the forum?here is the photo of the rig

hopefully it worked this time.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Click the edit button then delete the code for the photo.

I would probably start surfcasting within a week or two and would have more to contribute to the forum.

baitman
    Participant

when you are writing your posts click preview rather than submit and you will see what it looks that way youll be able to make changes and figure it out.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Think I might try and fish spot m tonight 8) , getting there is complicated and dangerous but its a cool spot. Last time I tried I damaged my pack when I threw it off a cliff. But tides are right, and the sea should be calm enough.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Survived my night trip to spot M, first time I stayed after dark.

<a href="“>
    Evening at Spot M by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

The weather was perfect. The sea was slightly larger then I was hoping but it was calm enough to climb around the rocks. Started fishing around 7pm and the action was also immediate, the first fish was a ordinary wrasse who eagerly took my mussel bait. A short while later the rod bent again and by the fight I knew it was a Moki. Was quickly landed, measured and released. A reasonable 47cm, not great but not bad for the first Moki for the season. A few more nibbles, but after dark the fishing died. Not even using fresh limpet would get a nibble.

<a href="“>
    First Moki for 2012 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Lost quite a bit of gear thanks to the kelp, going to have a nice bruise on my hand in the morning from when I smashed it into the rocks, also a tender foot from when I almost twisted my ankle. Spot M is certainly not to be taken lightly.

Would love to berley up in this gutter.
    <a href="“>
    Evening at Spot M by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

shark slayer
    Participant

nice spot there mili, looks like the sorta dodgy rock walking i often do,those kinda rocks are razor sharp aswell.nice moki there very well done,gives me motivation to get out for a moki.were you using a standard ledger rid or a rotten bottom rig if you know what i mean?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Strayline, I have dived around this spot quite a bit and know the bottom. So would probably use ledger rigs next time because the bottom is clear away from the kelp. The strayline moves around and the line wraps around the kelp unless watched constantly.

The rocks certainly are sharp. I am not at all confident fishing them after dark so need calm conditions and the correct tides.

yellowfin
    Participant

good too see you got Mr Moki Thomas :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice moki mili, by the look of the pics you would have driven past my house to get to that spot.
    Just gonna do a google earth scan to find that nice gut.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Its not difficult to find, just difficult to access. If you are confident at rock scrambling I would take you there one day if you want.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.