2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    troutfishernz
    Participant

My friend got a small Elephant At Makahihi beach last night, might be an early season for Elephant fish.
    Still haven’t heard of any Rig around yet.

shark slayer
    Participant

shark slayer
    Participant

legend baitman thanx,might be a bit big but ive got it sorted now,theres your rig troutfisher.i have been catching them since 1st of september, mili has got into them aswel and so have others.Good to hear about the elephants,wicked photo there baitman,im tired of whitebaiting,i am catching bugger all anyway…time to get serious about surfcasting..time to chase eles and have some light gear fun with the rig.Thanks for the help with the pictures aswell miliwolf…good luck with the trout

troutfishernz
    Participant

Nice catch Shark Slayer. Ive never been good at catching Rig, Probably go at the wrong times and don’t use the right bait.

Whats the easiest way to get a hold of Crabs? I used cooked prawn last season and caught nothing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Catch them yourself, there are several ways.

I prefer to use a Opera Crab Pot (like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing … 994517.htm ) , You need to add weight to the bottom and a rope for retrieval. I bait it with KY or old bait (fresh bait works best) then drop it off a wharf or breakwater. Check the pot every 10-15 minutes. Also on shallow beaches, I wade out then throw the pot. Again after 10-15 minutes I relocate the floating rope and check for crabs. There are different styles of traps and pots, same of them are better for catching larger crabs but I like smaller crabs for bait.

Another popular way to catch crabs is to wade the beach and simply grab or scoop them up in a hand net. I rarely use this method but it does work on calmer surf beaches. Walking around in bare feet is another good way to locate them.

The crabs are not always about, although I normally get good numbers around change of light. I also suspect tide plays a role but I have not figured anything out for certain.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Thanks Miliwolf.

shark slayer
    Participant

You can get a crab pot for around 25-40 dollars, i prefer the bigger ones because they hold more crabs.Weight it up a bit(i add 3 1.25kg gym weights and tie them down)place your bait,fish frame etc, in the middle of the pot and tie it down with some mono, this way the crabs have to come in to get a feed and not just sit on the outside of the pot and pick at the bait.I set it at low tide in the evening on a shallow beach, this way at high tide in the dark, your pot will be a good distance out.Let it fish as long as possible in the dark(3 hours is usually good enough)pull it in via a rope tied to the side and you should have 30-50 crabs.use the small ones whole,all the rest even large crabs cut in half.Everyone says to cut big crabs into four,but i disagree,even small rig can gulp down a big half crab,leave the legs on.As for rig fishing, here are my veiws on it.tide has no influence,on shallow beaches change of light and into dark is the time to fish,on deeper beaches during the day can be productive,you want a good swell and discoloured water though the rougher the better.short casts are generally the way to go unless its a super shallow beach but remember they are there to feed on paddlers and they generally stick close to the surf zone.As far as bait go’s,squid is shit,you may fluke the odd one but that’s it,one time i fished a good rig spot for a week during peek season with squid to test my theory,i caught no rig,then i switched to raw prawn, first cast twenty pound rig,went back to squid..nothing..back to raw prawn and another rig.cooked prawn is also shit for rig,its good on the eles because they see colour but not rig.i have baited two hook rigs with raw on one hook and cooked on the other,the raw gets hit everytime and the cooked is ignored.raw prawn is just as good as crab,but i find it dosn’t stay on as well even when wrapped good.the number 1 rig bait is paddle crab,rip off the back shell,break off the claws,take the second leg in from the claw off on each side and thread your hook through the leg socket and back out through the underbelly(I prefer 6/0)position everything so your barb is nice and exposed,wrap the legs to the hook shank and up your trace a bit wrap the sh#t out of the meat section and you are good to go.that is my opinion on rig fishing.Went out last night,only had one cast because the wind came up..but managed a small rig

HIPP
    Participant

Very good post Shark Slayer, thanks for taking the time to do it, Ive had apretty good run in the past with cooked prawn but did no good last year, I might persivere with the raw abit more this year and well done on your fish, you too Milli, awsome snapper.
    Cheers, hipp

shark slayer
    Participant

no worries hipp cheers.went to birdlings/aerials yesterday.conditions were perfect for rig but the fishing was slow.managed a 19lb female

she was foul hooked in the pectoral fin…good fight.Got 30 crabs in the pot last night so i went down to the bay today,was nice and rough with the southerly blowing,had a few drops but managed a nice 20lb female

caught on my brand new kilwell powerplay 14 foot six rod and baitrunner 8000d,best rig fight i have ever had,went on a couple of insane runs…great fun.

shark slayer
    Participant

sorry guys, not sure why those other pics went bad i am still figuring out this uploading stuff..

Miliwolf
    Participant

When you upload them to Imageshack, select ‘resize’ to 800×600 or similar.

Duckman
    Participant

Just managed a Stargazer from Ambo beach last nite, caught on rubber crab
    “>

baitman
    Participant

Cool to see something different. Do you eat them if so what would you compare it to?
    Looks a bit like a monk fish

Duckman
    Participant

didn’t know if they could be eaten so it went back, will try and get another one when i go out next and try it, what i have read they call them monk fish as well

shark slayer
    Participant

yeah thats what i did mili but i uploaded 5 at a time i think thats what buggered it up,nice monkfish there duckman,i get a few in the bay each year,they are good eating with nice thick fillets,has a shellfish like taste.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.