2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

forgot to set your drag Donald?

yellowfin
    Participant

bugger thats no good ss.

Duckman
    Participant

i don’t set the drag for moki, they seem to run for the rocks, actually i hardly ever set the drag as i normally stand close to me rod

yellowfin
    Participant

I went for a fish with the goals of improving my moki techniques and catching at least 5 legal sized moki. Claverley was swarming with wrasse so I went to Kaikoura. Pretty slow fishing overall, but I just managed my goal with fish from 41-55cm.

Duckman
    Participant

nice catch, well done

yellowfin
    Participant

i always set mydrag no matter what im after as you never know what will take, rather loose a fish that runs to rocks than risk a fish taking in ya rod

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers hipp..its all good the guy is going to fix it..just a shame about the shark trip as the conditions were perfect but oh well hopefully this weekend plays the game…went down for a rig..one cast 2mins later a nice wee rig around 9lb on cooked prawn..will head home and smoke her up..nice moki booger

smells like fish
    Participant

had a crap start to this afternoons fishing walked all the way to the spot and found my reel was almost seized,could just wind it no more,so walked all way back to the car and used some oil from the dipstick to lube up the bearings,finally got it to free wind.
    Baited up with raw prawn,cast out,rod in rod holder (warrata with a pvc pipe wired on),bang,first wire tie poped off then second,rod getting pulled down the shingle towards the sea at a great pace,only managed to grab it before a big wave came in.After oiling the reel back at the car I had tightened the drag up and not set it.
    Anyway a 4 foot female rig put up a great fight,also got a dogfish foulhooked.
    Live and learn.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nice fish booger.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have used saltwater to free up siezed reels before, not the best options but it can save a fishing trip. Should be cleaned afterwards

yellowfin
    Participant

hit the cliffs up for my first moki this morning….49 cm :grin:duck broken :eek: …special thanks to ss for loads of tips :wink: mate your a legend!

elmo22
    Participant

went to baileys beach last night after work, got there approx 6pm fishing 2 rods the 1st hour nothing then in the next hour got 2 good bites but no hook up also had 2 caught and had then on got them up into the surf brake and my trace broke half way up and lost that one,had the other one nearly out of the water and the hook came out and that one swam away,, the next hour nothing so packed up and left just before 9pm,,they took crab also had prawn,and tuatua,

Miliwolf
    Participant

Going for a Moki fish tonight.

Wrong part of the forum, but to lazy to make another post. Last night I trolled around Shakespeare bay then out around Wedge point and headed towards Ngkuta bay before returning to Picton (I turned at Iwirua point). About a 10km troll in all.

Sunday night I trolled out from Waikawa and across to Allports Island, rounded the island then back. Another 10km-ish paddle.

Blanked both trips, but I am doing it more for the exercise then the fishing.

gollyfish

oompalompa
    Participant

congrats gollyfish. stil yet to get my 1st moki

Miliwolf
    Participant

Think I might have to find a new spot M, because the last few times it has failed to produce…. Was looking good back in September :|

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.