2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

After many fruitless trips out after Moki or Kingfish I decided it was time to have a proper Snapper trip.

Arrived at my spot around 7:30 to fairly nice conditions. Although the water was surprisingly dirty. The fishing was slow to begin with, not even the spotties were stealing my bait. At twilight I landed a small panny, which was quickly followed by a slightly bigger one.

Then one of my rods bent over and starting losing line, the fish on the end of the line was heavy. Sort of felt like pulling in a large clump of weeds it put up so little fight. Once in the shallows I discovered it was a ugly old Snapper with a massive lump on its head. After a rough photo he was released. It was not long until my rod bent over again, this fished fought slightly harder and I landed another tough looking snapper, a likely school mate of the first fish. One more panny, and then it was night and the Snapper stopped feeding.

Just before 10 I landed a Ray and that was it for the rest of the night. Was quite a deep wade returning to the car.

Here is the first of the two large Snappers, did not take a photo of the second. They were around 70cm long.

“>

Duckman
    Participant

2 nice moki from my kaikoura trip today, will upload photos tomorrow

shark slayer
    Participant

very cool mili well done..good to see you into the snaps again. :)

Duckman
    Participant

Two Moki from yesterday.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice moki there donald..they look to be around 3.5 and 4.2ishlb…southbay was it???

Duckman
    Participant

south bay yes m8, didn’t weigh them measured the second one i got first pic 50cm, new straight off when i caught the first one second pic that it was legal slightly smaller guessing 40+cm, nearly pulled rod and holder out of the sand, if i hadn’t of been watching would of lost em lol

yellowfin
    Participant

nice moki!

elmo22
    Participant

just back from spencer park went down to check out the sea conditions for a early fish tomorrow moring looks a bit rough and dirty from the sand sired up, swell map says its going to ok in morning but i dont think it will be,,has anyone been out baleys or birdlings today if it ok will go there in moring any help will be good thanks

HIPP
    Participant

Good snapper there Mili, the QC or the Kenapuru side? Nice Moki photos too from Duckman and look forward to the photo of the Mako from the Poki Mocher too lol…Nice one Ian

Miliwolf
    Participant

Was over on the Kenepuru side, was good to chase Snapper again but think I would put most of my effort towards kingies.

HIPP
    Participant

Be interesting to know what bait you were useing Mili, we caught all of ours on Anchovies, they wouldnt look at the pillies…we were stray lineing with the sinker up from the bait by about a foot.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I might have been using Anchovies 8) (Real ones, not Pillys labeled as anchovies :evil: )

I use no sinker, although I use quite soft rods so still get good distance.

elmo22
    Participant

went to spencer park and fishing by 5pm went down by the whymac mouth and was full of weed and crabs moved half way back towards the gate and fished there but still weed and crabs so moved back to the gate and fished there,was no weed but still got crabs, caught 3 crabs and use them for bait but they still got eaten out..there were 4 lots of people with torpedeo set, i did see one lot pull theres in and they had a nice size rig… was told by someone down there that there mates got 9 eles this morning with torpedeo and rods. i fished till 7.30pm and not even a bite bad day again lol

shark slayer
    Participant

my boyhood dreams of catching a mako will have to wait..some dude that i only know a wee bit was down at the bay the other day..his truck broke down so he asked if he could borrow my car to drive 600 meters to fix it and bring my car back..normaly i would say no but he had forced me to have a go on his jetski so i said yes haha..i thought what could go wrong on a 600m drive…well he pushed down on the clutch pedal so hard while changing gear that it broke all the mounts for the pedal including one that is tack welded to the chasis..so i could not launch my boat and go shark slaying..fuckin hell :twisted:
    i have learnt a valuable lesson tho..never let someone borrow your shit..its a major job to fix it…went for a moki and got zip..good times..back to work on monday so shark fishing is postponed..mite head out for a rig to cheer me up :)

HIPP
    Participant

Thats a bugger S/S aka poki moacher lol,your a good guy,you have been helpfull to many people, Im sure that karma will cut you a break somewhere on the car front. Interesting Mili, achovies look like the go at the moment, awsome, pitty i wont be back up there for yonks!, nice to see possibilites for Eles still in canterbury…now just time to get there. Cheers, Hipp

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.