2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

cheers duckman..yeap those mustads are my fav to milli..your probably right mili i dont hold my breath either was probably just johny on the spot but hey i will try…weighed the snaps was smaller than i thought only 5lb but i am stoked moki was also smaller around 5.2 go figure it was heavier..went out this evening thought i had another snap first cast but it was a good moki got 2 moki and a red cod before the wind ended the mish..going to head out early in the morning and have a try with two rods and see what happens here is tonights fish…

i will get more mili..haha..probably not in canterbury but will head up your way sometime..

shark slayer
    Participant

oops..now off to fillet fish

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, if you head up north you would get more. But referring to around Banks Peninsula.

IMO Moki and Snapper fights are comparable, the main difference being the Snapper violent head shakes.

fishforpot
    Participant

Make hay while the sun shines sharkslayer ….water temp is as high as ever , snapper are here now ….get out and show us more , chances may never be as high again

yellowfin
    Participant

Great catch ss.Rest assured where there is one snap there will be another.Never be a doubting thomas( get it ?) lol

shark slayer
    Participant

my thoughts exactly socky and ffp..cheers guys..couldnt get out this morning was to windy to fish..here are some better photos of yesterday mornings fish

the weight was without gills and guts so they were probably a touch bigger…im off for a shot

shark slayer
    Participant

conditions were shit this evening..easterly instead of noreast like forecasted and 20 gusting 30 knots instead of 15 dropping to 10..was almost impossible to fish only managed 2 undersized moki before i gave up..the morning will be better….

Miliwolf
    Participant

You certainly been putting in the effort Shark Slayer.

Another unsuccessful 10-km troll for me tonight. DId a loop around Allports Island out from Waikawa.

Plan is to fish Okiwi tomorow, would hopefully drop anchor and berley in the a few live baits. Would also get in plenty of trolling :P

gunnercoops
    Participant

are there any KY down the Mak mouth today? cheers

fishforpot
    Participant

Fished Bayleys this morning ….a few good sized schoolies and 4 rig caught …..
    A bird workup along the beach to our West , heading East and right in the surf zone …..it got 100mtrs from us and went out 200mtrs , drifted 100mtrs past us , then back into the surf zone …..

We had some burley going which no doubt attracked the sharks that bit us off twice , both times taking everything ….top swivel and everything ..
    Maybe the presence of the sharks sent the Kahawai wide , or morelikely the baitfish they were feeding on ….
    Later in the morning the kahawai came back West , split into two schools …

Fantastic conditions …strangely the wind was onshore further East where Joe Public goes ….sea was flat ..

I tried a live bait – large mullet , sent it out under a balloon around 60-70mtrs out and shot the balloon …sending the mullet to the bottom to swim around above a sinker …..Jaws ate all my shit lol
    Will be trying that again ….

Oh , was busy catching those pesky wee schoolies about large dogfish size , 3-4lb maybe , and doing 10 things at once I mistook a doggy for a schoolie ….it had no spots and was exactly the same colour as a schoolie …spikes were nearly invisible ….tucked it under my arm to trek back to the baitboard where the long nosed pliers are , and WHAM …….tail spike buried into the forearm …..that shit hurt like a mother fucker ….would compare the pain to the stingray tail thru my leg many years ago lol ….
    The fucker died a slow painful death …tomorrow he will be seagull shit …..that’ll learn him

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

CONGRATULATIONS..excellent! sharkslayer! :grin:

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

socky

gunnercoops
    Participant

didnt see much happening down at the mak mouth this arvo

HIPP
    Participant

Good to see you back Birdlings, I asked S/S to pass on my regards when he saw you next, hope alls good out your way:)….Gunnercoops…for Kahawai reports, see the salmon thread, seems to be regular comments about their activity quite often. cheers, Hipp

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Great Hipp..thanks…I want the frickers back here at my beach..smoker is waiting..cat is giving me looks!…tummy is rumbling..looks like they are towards Taumutu at the mo..inundated with torpedos at the mo…cheats.. :razz:

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.