2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

This seven gill shark was feeding on a ray carcass beside the anakiwa wharf a few days back. Earlier that night I went for a Snapper/kingie fish nearby but only caught a ray.

<a href="“>
    P1200041 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

<a href="“>
    P1200034 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

yellowfin
    Participant

is there any eles still being caught south island east coast timaru oamaru area

troutfishernz
    Participant

deepsea

shark slayer
    Participant

cool photo mili..just a wee one..ran into ian robertson tonight..word on the street is pendarves is fishing good for eles at the moment..go get em hipp!!went for a moki fish tonight..still got a bad vibe cant get one will go into more detail tommorrow to tired…

shark slayer
    Participant

well…fuck me dead..i definitely changed my bad luck this morning…had a busy day planned today so got up super early for a morning fish..was hungover and felt like shit..so the perfect cure was an early morning moki fish..got there at 5.20am..only had time for 2 casts because i had to drop my car off to get the cv fixed..first cast and the rod bent over and line peeled off rapidly..click in my drag and tussle with a nice moki around the 7lb mark..was stoked with that so thought about just leaving it at that but couldn’t help having one more cast..after about 2 mins my rod buckled over hard and line was peeling off..clicked the drag in and i was on..geez this moki is scrappy was pulling a lot of line and really using the current well..may even be better than the other one i thought..then i got it in close..geez thats a pale moki i thought then i got it landed and holy shit i have caught a banks peninsula SNAPPER!!!i nearly gave birth with excitement what a mornings fishing..wanted to fish for longer but had to go..here is a quick phone photo i will post some better ones later…think i need a sleep first :razz:

my first snapper ever..was impressed with there fighting style..bait was cooked prawn on a two hook ledger rig and 6/0 mustad recurves..moki bait was mussel same rig…

fishforpot
    Participant

God bless global warming huh ……awesome catch …

My first thought , have you lost a few of these snapper over the last week ? or the moki normally jump off the hooks as you describe ?

The moke is 7lb ? snapper must be 8ish ?

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers ffp..yeap i am almost certain now that i have landed one that the fish i have been dropping lately have been snapper and i have not been letting them run long enough…generally i normally dont loose many moki and they have a different style of strike…be interesting to see if i get any more…global warming ae..the water temps are really high at the moment its time for me to target kingis now and i know exactly where to go….i am now also convinced that the gurnard at bayleys were caught on kontiki….could be wrong tho..havn’t weighed the snaps yet will do that later…

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thats a great catch Shark Slayer, looks like a fairly young fish.

In my experience, once a Snapper is hooked they very rarely throw it. Impatient people can have problem hooking them in the first place.

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers mili..i normally dont let moki run for to long or they chuck the hook..obviously i have not been expecting to catch snapper so have not been letting them run and have been losing a few fish on the strike(engaging my second drag)i let this one run a while today by accident taking a while to get to the rod..and it payed off..lucky as tho..but the problem i have now is do i let it run incase its a snapper and lose a few moki??haha will be an interesting week to see if i get another…i certainly have snapper fever now..awesome fighters

Miliwolf
    Participant

Are you using circle hooks? I use circles and let everything run first. I seem to have few problems hooking up snapper or moki…. although its been a while since I consistently been catching moki so my memory might have faded a bit.

HIPP
    Participant

Holy Shit S/S, thats bloody wicked, well done on that Snapper…..and I drove 6 hours to get to catch a Snapper lol, And your dad, well hes a keen man, but good on him for having a go, you wouldnt get me in there, I seen how big the Gillers were:)
    Thanks for the heads up on the Eles, hope to get a go at them before its all over… say hi to Ian from me next time you see him, I miss his Posts.

Thanks again Mili for the tips you gacve me up your way, much appreciated, pitty didnt get to meet ya, maybe next time aye.

Well done to all of you, Cheers, Hipp

oompalompa
    Participant

nice s/s- would love to catch a snapper over there– what bait was that on? im the water will have chilled off by the time i get there at easter

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers guys…will do hipp…yea your right mili quite a young fish it still has its colours..i am using mustad demon circle hooks..will let the fish run and see what happens..the bait was cooked prawn oompaloompa they seem to like it and i know a guy who used to get shitloads of snapper up north and he used cooked prawns all the time..although i will use two rods next time out and fish one straylined with pilchard just to hedge my bets..they are probably in there in small schools but will be outnumbered by moki etc so its a matter of getting a bait to them..lets see what happens

Duckman
    Participant

well done Shark

Miliwolf
    Participant

Mustad Demon circle hooks are my favorite Moki hook :shock:

Not trying to be a pessimist, but I would be surprised if you caught any more snapper this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.