2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

yea i find its pretty much the same along shit during the day and sometimes acceptable at night, you would be better off going elsewhere lol,i might go to kaikoura or conway again, , plan on spending a few days in kaikoura next week as forecast is better there than here, anyone else going those ways?

fishforpot
    Participant

Planning a carrot mission up that way sometime next week …..comp is the 13th , in case anyone didnt realise

shark slayer
    Participant

yea i thought it was weird the number of gurnard there,maybe someone just took there gurnard there to fillet them and dump the frames??went out last night,got 3 rig on light gear just 10lb braid and a wee stradic 2500..was fun..then went and targeted a ray..straylined out a half pilchard..waited for an hour an a half untill the rod went off..clicked in my second drag to sink the hook and off it ran…went on 3 decent runs and then a couple of smaller ones..took 25 mins to land but only had to walk about 50 m to follow it..im quite suprised the 40lb leader stood up to the abuse..35lb braid was more than enough tho..never seen my killwell bend so hard haha..got the hook out and walked it into deeper water and off she swam..probably weighed around 40kg was pretty solid..only had a phone to take photos..need to get yet ANOTHER digital cam..here it is[

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice G. yea will prob give the comp a miss this year, usually earlier in year i though like this weekend , plus the rivers here being dirty and most my other mates being back at work might as well go there,

Miliwolf
    Participant

Brought myself a new fishing pack, a 90L Macpac Cascade. Got it for $340 which is reasonable. Could of saved a hundred or two by getting a second hand pack but I know what I am getting with the Macpac. Would be a shame to get it covered with bait juices. But this pack is easily big enough, and has enough straps so I can easily carry all of my Surfcasting gear, and hopefully camping gear. So I can now check out a few remote spots I always wanted to try.

Should also fit my spearfishing gear :P Maybe I should of gotten two, one for fishing and the other for spearfishing.

elmo22
    Participant

hopefully you wont leave any thing on the beach now milwolf all your stuff will be packed away safely and not lose things lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

While Surfcasting I have only left behind Rod Holders. Have lost quite a few Braid Scissors, Pliers and bait elastic over the years. But they mostly get buried in the gravel, or left in the surf zone and buried after releasing a fish. So I doubt it would make much of a difference.

A few weeks back I left behind was my kayak paddle worthed around $500, and I would of left it meters from my car. Today I nearly lost my Spotter sunglasses, got back to the car and realized they were nowhere to be found. But luckily I left wet footprints on the rocks so could retract my steps exactly.

shark slayer
    Participant

hey milli wheres all your snaps at??not as much action from you as there normally is….finally got my shit together and went for a moki fish this morning..got to my special spot at 5am..decided to fish two rods one with prawn the other with mussel/tuatua..i normally only fish one but wanted to maximise my chances being the first trip for the season…first cast got a bastard red cod on prawn..was plenty of pickers probably mullet picking at the baits..then my other rod went over and a scrappy little moki was landed on mussel..rebaited and landed a dirty old wrasse..released him and casted back out..two minutes later and another nice wee scrapper was landed on tuatua..2 fish is enough so i packed up and headed home at 6.20am.mussel and tuatua were getting constant attention while prawn was largely ignored..1st fish was 40cm second was 42cm 3.2 and 3.5 lb..i prefer the just legal ones as they tast the best..had herb crumbed pan fried moki for lunch..its a tough life..

Duckman
    Participant

Nice Moki Shark

Miliwolf
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers duckman..sweet mili was just wondering..thinking about heading up to chase a snapper later in the month when things have settled down..just want to make sure its fishing reasonable before i head up..its a long way to go to come back empty handed but i guess thats part of the game..will probably put 4-5 days in depending on results..went out this morning..slept in so got there late..got picked off hard by mullet..hooked and lost a nice moki thtas fishing..may try an evening shot..

Miliwolf
    Participant

If you put 4-5 days in you are all but guaranteed to catch snapper.

HIPP
    Participant

Nice to see a bit of activity around, nice Moki Shark Slayer well done.

Ill be up the sounds from the 14th I can help with weather reports and conditions S/S if thats of help PM me your cell details and Ill keep you in the loop, maybe can meet up for another fish if it worksout too if you are upthere at a simular time.

Mili, I might need some pointer too whilst in your neck of the woods, however you have posted so much helpfull stuff Ill read your posts again before I bother you with silly questions:)

Cheers, All, Hipp

sevengiller
    Participant

Has anyone been out to Blackrock lately?? If so what has been caught.

Giller
    Participant

Hi Guys,strange question,would there be any chance of getting paddle crabs in the tidal areas inside the rakaia lagoon by any chance since it has a salt water mix in there ?

Many thanks

Neil

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.