2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

The trawlers get gurnard off that coast sounds like they’ve dumped the waste. Stingrays are bottom feeding scavengers I’ve caught a lot over the years. Squid is a great bait for them if you can get nice whole ones, otherwise kahawai and mullet work well. Sometimes I’ll use a whole small mullet or kahawai and cut a fillet off and put it back on flesh side up with bait cotton and can also wrap a bit of squid around them with bait cotton. They will also take small cut baits on ledger rigs. If I’m using whole fish I generally use a strayline type rig with a sinker at the top which leaves it on the bottom. I’ve hooked them at Bluff Wharf, Timaru Wharf, Lyttelton, Brighton Pier and Kaikoura. Most of my ones have been off the Pier, one night I hooked and beached 3 one after the other before I had to pack up for work the next day.

Got a few pics of various rays caught by me and a few other guys over the years mostly small and the two big ones I’ve hooked in the last year I’ve lost.

http://imageshack.us/g/838/25171108704592498068654.jpg/

As for crabs they do eat them but I’ve never hooked one on crab and I know people who have fished with crab baits for years going after rig and never hooked a ray.

fishforpot
    Participant

Just got back from an overnighter at Kaikoura …..
    Got there lunch time , was dead for the first 6 hrs , nothing but 4 schoolies and 1 carpet shark with a combined weight of less than 1/2 lb … 6.20pm saw a 15lb schoolie ……a dogfish , then another schoolie around 30lb at 8.30pm ….I packed up after that and got an early night ..
    Come morning – 2 carpet sharks , 1 kahawai , 2 small schoolies , 2 skate and 3 gurnard ….oh , and 3 doggies …

So a successful trip for a change …

Edited to add , Do gurnard puke their stomachs empty when hooked ?? cause I just filleted the buggers and all 3 were empty , all 3 full of row tho ….
    Maybe they are breeding at the mo

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish today, was slow going very slow woth only a skate and a 13lb schoolie to show for the first few hours, about 2 hours before high tide the fish finally came on the bite which saw another 5 schoolies 3 of which were in about 10 min and ranged between 10-16b and a giller small giller at about 30lb , then a few others caught fish as well in the time including one fish that was not going to stop until it bit the guy off, went quiet for a while before i got a smaller schoolie released and then as i thought of going home landed my 5th keeper at about 8-9lb freezer and family/friends will now be happy with some fish for a change! Also left the beach with two crays which i were given

HIPP
    Participant

Went for a fish last night at Bailleys until 11pm, a few fish caught around us, a smallish 7 giller and a schooly or two and at least one dog fish….One Eley head on the beach looked like from the morning, No Rig or Eleys seen. Cheers, hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished a few hours yesterday in Lyttelton got this ray and a few small schoolies.

yellowfin
    Participant

First season fishing and first time posting here, have been fishing Birdlings, Spencer Park and Amberley chasing an elephant fish with no luck so far. Fished Timaru just before Christmas and caught a 5.2lb Moki, that is my best result so far- I have been using pipi as bait, would that be the best for the elephant fish and rig?

yellowfin
    Participant

personally id stick with the pipi for the eles, otherwise prawns crabs crayfish paua and squid will get eles,

For rig id use crabs prawns or crayfish

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that I will try those baits, may head up to Kaikoura for a fish this weekend, if not I will continue my mission round ChCh.

yellowfin
    Participant

have not heard of many eles around kaikoura, try south of birdlings more, you may have more luck

fishforpot
    Participant

Time of day will have a huge impact …early and late …..forget the middle of the day ….always be exceptions , but rule of thumb is around change of light for most species

yellowfin
    Participant

If we get to Kaikoura we will fish round Goose Bay or South Bay, bit of rock fishing. As for the Elephant Fish/Rig, I went up to Amberley on New Years day, sun rise and had one big bite, was impressive whatever it was, did not take the hook then nothing. I’ll head back over to South of Birdling’s hopefully over the upcoming weekends, get there sunrise or sun set, will let you know how I do, one thing – I am enjoying myself.
    Cheers for your input guy’s.

shark slayer
    Participant

well done on the gurnard there ffp…gonna head up to kaikoura and have a go myself soon once the road and crowds have thinned out..i suspect the gurnard at bayleys were from the longliners and not commercial as they were all close together on the beach and a few were sorounded by blood and guts on the stones..could be wrong though…hey vulcan..crab is the best bait for rig followed by raw prawn but it gets picked off to easy..crab is the go..in the dark or all day long if the swell is up or the water is dirty..as for the elles cooked prawn is the only bait i would use as its easily accessable and the eles love it..squid will get them if they are in good numbers but you get to much bycatch and the elles will be thinning out from now on as they spawn and head back out to the deep,so maximise your chances and use a bait like cooked prawn that gives you a decent amount of time in the water..everyone will tell you first light in the morning and last thing and into the night is the go..but i get 95% of mine during the day…

fishforpot
    Participant

One of the things I love about sea fishing , is it’s the sea …..anything can swim from anywhere in the world to the beach in front of you and you can catch/hook it ..
    I love to pick the brains of the old codgers I run into out fishing …My old landlord told me he’d caught a gurnard off Birdlings around WW2 while long lining ….
    The fossil uncle of the cocky at Bayleys told me he’s done oodles of longlining over the years off Bayleys …and never caught a gurnard …he had caught grouper off the beach at spox-x , Pendarves and the Rakia mouth ….back in the late 60’s were the last ones ..
    I’d be suprised to see a gurnard off that beach …I wouldnt rule it out tho..
    But the numbers seen on the beach ???
    There must be some logical reason the fish were there ..

elmo22
    Participant

thinking of going to ambley fishing comp on sunday is there any spots better than others havnt fished there for years and got nothing when i did and i know some of you people have fished there and might point me in the right diretion

fishforpot
    Participant

The beach is the same all the way along from what Ive found …

How’d ya go on the coast ?

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.