salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

The same pool looking downstream, the deep water that would bring the fish into my hole is clear to see as it runs down towards the whitewater below. Notice the bar protect the pool from the main river and how it would direct the fish into the pool ..http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/026rhm.jpg/

yellowfin
    Participant

A pool protected from the main flow on 3 sides, the fish brought into the pool by the deep water at the top of screen..it’s a dead end. All these pools have a good strong current that enables me to fish them without having to crank the handle, the spinner swings through on it’s own before being retrieved back along the bank…http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/011bnu.jpg/

burkefish
    Participant

3 at macintoshs to 1.30pm, inspite of all the rowing boats and other activity. fish also sighted so there are a few in there.

cinick
    Participant

Thanks for all the poicts Kev. Going out with a buddy tomorrow so will see how we go. I suspect we will end up chin wagging far too much as we havent caught up for a while but I’m taking 3 days off work week after next and am planning to park my truck near some nice water and give it a good crack!

Is the Hurunui midway between the mouth and the highway bridge work a go? seems like there have been a few caught at the mouth so maybe they are sitting in the big pools upstream also??

yellowfin
    Participant

cinick

yellowfin
    Participant

caught 16lb at banana whole! first for the sesason!!

burkefish
    Participant

good one nimzo8, 4 at macintoshs to 1.30pm, 3 to the boats, 1 on the rocks.

Giller
    Participant

hows the rakaia lagoon/mouth entrance inside the lagoon been fishing lately ? any word of any being landed ? or is all the action happening down the mak

cinick
    Participant

Firstly a big thanks to everyone that has offered help and advice, especially Kevin for the picts which I poured over yesterday before setting out on my long awaited first full day out trying for salmon since the mid 90’s.

After a couple of hours on the Mac last week making sure I got use to the 6500 I was looking forward to finally getting out for a full day trying my luck…..and as luck would have it I found the dumbest salmon in the river which obliged and helped me break the duck.

No real idea how big it was as we didnt have reliable scales but after a good fight and a couple of anxious jumps I was glad to get it to the bank.

Thinking I’ll take 3 days off next week and head to a river to try for another. Not too keen on huge crowds so am thinking maybe the Hurunui mouth or braids on the Rakaia. Is a Quad beneficial on the Hurunui mouth or is a short walk??? Never fished it as I tend to fly fish the upper reaches.

Thanks again guys.

yellowfin
    Participant

40min walk from the where you park your car what I am told and hard on the ankles. Quad bike prefered from the south side. Nice fish btw. Looks a good size from the photo. First ever or first for the season?

cinick
    Participant

Thanks Greeneman.

I gave up on the salmon in the mid-late 90’s when the decline started and focused on flyfishing with the old gorrilla stick (legend rod in its day :oops: ) and Abu6500 being used more for cod and dust gathering than anything else.

Truth be said I was never great at the salmon fishing and probably landed only 2 or 3 in the couple of years I gave it a go back in my 20’s.

Only this board and the photos got me excited about dusting off the old rod and reel and giving the salmon another crack. So I guess its the first in 15 odd years. Hopefully it wont be my last.

Ultimately I’d like to find somewhere I can pull the spey rod out and have a go but I might wait till I’ve caught a couple more before I get too adventurous :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

A great fish cinick, from the pic I’d say it’s in the mid 20lb range..a real cracker.

cinick
    Participant

So another question.
    You come up to a piece of water and identify the sweet spot (I’d be lucky if I could do that!!!) that you suspect the fish will be sitting.

Ideally do you want to stand below the sweet spot and dead drift the lure through it or do you want the lure to swing through the sweet spot at the end of the drift below you?

The fish I caugh took the lure well below me at the end of the swing. It suprised me as much as the fish as I thought the lore was well and truly out of the fishy zone….

kbel
    Participant

Hi cinick:In my experience its very common to get a take just at the end of the swing against the bank especially in deep rocky pools up river so it’s always a good idea to approach the hole quietly from the top and work your way down and fish it right to the very end of the swing.kbel.

burkefish
    Participant

alot of fish showing themselves at macintoshes this morning, some of them completly clear of the water. a great sight in calm conditions. netted a weighed a 14lb fish for someone out on his first of the season fish, took him 10 casts- thats the luck part. believe a boat got a double and was gone before i got there. water very clear and warm, then the southerly came up and blew everyone off the water. would have stayed but got called in to start work early tonight

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.