salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

cinick, 8 times out of ten salmon hit the lure on the swing..the other takes are either as the lure is being retrieved back along the bank to be recast or straight out from you not long after the spinner has sunk.

cinick
    Participant

Thanks again. I’d been fishing the zedee like a nymph, casting it as high up as I could and dead drifting it on the bottom through what I thought was the best water. I’d retrieve the slack line to keep in contact with the lure but would find that the lure didnt swing much below because I had retrieved quite a bit of line. I was also casting more upstream than towards the middle of the stream so not alot of angle to swing below me either.

After reading Ross Millichamps books in the 90’s and skimming through it last week I still think I would have struggled without the feedback from the board so thanks again, :)

burkefish
    Participant

interesting that in the last 2 years how many salmon have been caught on white lures in clear conditions. wonder if this just occurs in the lower reaches only? have watched a couple of videos where fish seem to disappear in clear water at a distance of about 5 metres.

yellowfin
    Participant

hey guys,just some advice. heading to rakaia for fish for the day.just need some advice on were some good spots to fish on the river if thers anywer in particular you would suggest!!!

let me know guys,Cheers

nimz08

Fishunter
    Participant

Every time the river floods,spend some time and look like everybody else has too.

Participant

Saw two small salmon caught today at mak mouth between 10am -1.30pm …

yellowfin
    Participant

fishd mak today from 5 till 3 only one tacken on rocks all the fish tacken on boats were big ky saw NO fish splashing around very slow and quite

yellowfin
    Participant

I agree Tom, very quiet for what is supposed to be a bumper season..a great Nov-Dec run but it has tapered off somewhat, let’s hope for a good second run :eek:

burkefish
    Participant

from my records it often happens mid feb for about 2 weeks then the main run starts last week in feb or first week in march in the mak. seems hot weather and low flow force the slow down then the urge gets the better of them. another factor currently is there seems to plenty of food for them and they are maybe cramming it in.

midget
    Participant

Hi… does anyone have a copy of “Ross Millichamp’s book Salmon Fever” I can buy.. Cant find a copy anywhere. Cheers

yellowfin
    Participant
    midget
    Participant

They didn’t have any in stock. Is there anywhere else that sells the book? Cheers

burkefish
    Participant

try contacting fish and game, they had copies for sale. or ask to speak to ross , he might this have some as he was selling them.

Stufish
    Participant

Just been looking for my copy, cant find it and i must say it is the only book i have ever read twice in my whole life lol maybe the only one i have read full stop. better find it as I,m doing something wrong this season so far :(

Liam
    Participant

Ring around second hand book shops, think my dad bought rang a shop in tokoroa to get his.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.