salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 8 posts - 661 through 668 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Yea was really enjoyable meeting a few people, fishing different locations, but overall, enjoying myself.

baitman
    Participant

awesome Kris can’t wait to see the sequel next year. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Good work Kris… Looks like you have a few reels!!! What set up were you using for your April up river salmon vid?? Can’t make out the reel..

yellowfin
    Participant

That reel that I was using up river was Abu 6500c3 with a handle off my surf reel Abu NaCa Revo Toro it fitted perfectly, lots more better than that piddly little one it comes with, I actually found it better than my Calcutta 400B, ok it’s not as smooth just find it has a better feel to it, with light mono. Yeah I know they get a picked on for being budget and can’t handle up rivers etc, but I beg to differ

burkefish
    Participant

well the smolt are on the move. helped load 30,000 Friday and doing another 30,000 tomorrow morning, all destined for the clutha. have grown to a good size, some of them are about 150mm should give them a good survival chance. locally there will be releases in july, though 15000 had to be released into the rakaia early as they were growing to quickly and the oxygen levels were dropping. could have some ova planting very shortly as well.

burkefish
    Participant

Well another 37000 smolt should be finding out how it is swimming in the clutha river tonight. next lot scheduled for Thursday.

burkefish
    Participant

another load of smolt sent south yesterday, one more to go next Monday. next releases will be in the mak and Rakaia, these smolt are an amazing size, the last years conditions have great for on growing. from the information I have egg production for next years smolt has had a 97% eye up. ova planting will be starting anytime soon.

burkefish
    Participant

last load of salmon smolt on its way to clutha 2 truckloads plus a trailer about 40,000 in total. ova planting done by four volunteers on sat at one tree swamp, they reported plenty of wild fish had spawned and good numbers still to. ova planting at hacketts creek on sat. meantime if the weather ok I will be assisting on thus separating brown and rainbow fingerlings so they can be released in various places around Canterbury.

Viewing 8 posts - 661 through 668 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.