salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Just had a look off the Waimak gorge bridge. Saw 3 salmon below the bridge splashing around and one more fish came through in the 10 minutes I was there. Very clear so it might be alright with a fly.

yellowfin
    Participant

I think …… this is the time we have to stop fishing for Salmon who’s already close to spawning area, anywhere on any river for the good future season.

burkefish
    Participant

going by the info i have there are already good numbers of fish in the restricted zones. the hope that we don’t have what happened in the early 90’s when the numbers were too high for available spawning waters and the late arriving fish destroyed the early reeds that contributed to the decline in the late 90’s. the good thing this time is that a lot of work has been done fencing, clearing the beds and planting ova in previous non-spawning areas so that the rivers can cater for larger numbers which is all positive for the fishery. not forgetting the excellent work being done by hatchery staff and volunteers in raising smolt to supplement the run. an alround excellent season.

burkefish
    Participant

a bit of rain inthe high country, mainly from ranger stream and nigger hill has lifted the mak, will still be fishable tomorrow i think under a 100. might be enough to move any late run fish, extra water in the kaiapoi wiill move things there. will have a look.

burkefish
    Participant

mak low enough to have alook tomorrow. will try some colours in discloured water that according to book i’ve been reading work best in those conditions. quite a surprise some of them. if they work might have a job repaintig to expand my range.

yellowfin
    Participant

all this rain has me hoping for a run in otago habour, this time last year there were good numbers pushing up the small stream running into the harbour on the back of similar weather.

Im going to paint some small lures up a mix of colours and fish from 4am.

trying a mix of Black, orange and lumo paint on some small 7gram spinners.

They currently have a fish trap at the entrance of the stream, and have caught some big searun browns, but no salmon in the trap yet.

heres hoping for one more this season.

wrights
    Participant

HIPP

burkefish
    Participant

no salmon today but an amazing number of large ky,

burkefish
    Participant

another great day weather wise at the river, unbelieveable for this time of the year. the ky were still there,tho not in yesterdays numbers. fished until about 12.15pm and as i was going remarked to one of my mates that i feel there are still 1or 2 salmon around. wouldn’t you know it get a call a couple of hours later to let me know that his son , the youngest fishing there had just landed a fresh 13lb salmon. well done.

burkefish
    Participant

Still plenty of ky at macintoshes, landed afew and had 2 steal my spinners (i want them back). won’t be fishing tomorrow might be a little dangerous with duck hunters around and fortunately the river has come down will try again monday.

yellowfin
    Participant

Still loads of kahawai around, saw a dead half rotten salmon
    At the mak today . Just lying on the bank

burkefish
    Participant

did you have a look to see if it had a spinner down its throat? afew that broke lines late in the season were deeply hooked and possibly bled out. silverstream noted that some that arrived there showed they had been hooked.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cant say i did, it reaked at the time and its eyes were missing, had a mean looking head/mouth so maybe post spawning.

yellowfin
    Participant

:lol: Here’s a cheeky run down of my 2012-2013 season…
    http://youtu.be/rmgyzUmd5p8

burkefish
    Participant

thats a great vid, you had a good season. think the next one will be even better.

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.