salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

Starting to hear rumours of sightings and heard of one14lb caught in the Kaiapoi. time to service the reels repack my bag, have fixed the waders. need to sort what zedies to start the season with (colours etc, will change). always seem to end the season with totally different ones. now all I need is for the river to clear a bit.

yellowfin
    Participant

Im just waiting for a nice calm day to head out on the harbour with my kayak, too much wind recently.

fingers crossed for this Sunday! not looking good though,

burkefish
    Participant

Well the fish smoking seems to be a success.seem to have most of it right,vacpacking can be tricky. only certain types of plastic seem to work, anyway found a cheaper supply. going to try different types of wood and mixtures and have sourced 4 different types so far- should be interesting. now all we need is a clear river and a few fish in it.

burkefish
    Participant

Just seen an interesting article on about the interbreeding of hatchery and wild salmon, that has come to the conclusion that its not detrimental to a fishery but does enhance the return rates. could have implications for our fisheries. also of interset is that the fraser river is having good returns of all species, often that then reflects on returns here. hope so.

burkefish
    Participant

went and had a look at the Mak today to see what damage the flood had caused. surprised none. no mud just sand washed down, has built up some of the banks and whitebait are moving so are the silveries. need a couple more days for searuns but doesn’t look like the weather will cooperate going by the forecast.

burkefish
    Participant

hear there are salmon being caught off the beach at kaikoura. won’t be long before they are down here. now all we need is for the river to clear a bit !!!!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

once river clears into it i think im to over excited for this season :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Man you guys are either lucky or keen. Salmon dont really start running till March in the Waitaki. Im still fully hooked on the whitebaiting. I dont even buy a license untill December.

burkefish
    Participant

Can usually hear of a few salmon taken in the rakaia in october, the mak varies a bit. january is the most common month for me, though 5 of the years since 2000 the first of the season has been by the end of december. have had 2 in mid november.latest for fish is 2 years in march. think this year will be an early one, if the rivers clear.

yellowfin
    Participant

1 salmon caught in the kaiapoi today around 10 am. just upstream from kaiapoi rugby club , was talking to an older chap fishing there and he had one in a sack on the bank,sat there for a while talking to him before carrying on my way through to christchurch. would have been 10 or 11 pound caught on pilchards

burkefish
    Participant

time to put the gear in the car. will go and have a look tomorrow.

burkefish
    Participant

had a look around the kaiapoi mouth for a couple of hours, found where the drop offs are and a new sand bar thats about 20 metres into the river. found two snags that claimed two of my zeddies. will try the over side on friday. whitebaiters are seeing some rises in the discoloured water- think they are seatrout.

yellowfin
    Participant

hey larry how long do you reakon till we can fish mak im keen spend few hours on this new freesh of water :grin:

burkefish
    Participant

way its dropping could be ok sunday, though at the level it is now might get 1or2 coming up to the kaiapoi. will ckeck it out tomorrow afternoon.

yellowfin
    Participant

sweet ill see you out there

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.