salmon season 2012-13

Posted By burkefish On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 667 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  burkefish 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 668 total)
  • Author

burkefish
    Participant

About 3 months to go until the first salmon is sighted. have been sorting out and rearranging my fishing room. have found a lot of things i didn’t know i had, can’t remember buying or acquiring them (maybe they breeding in there). anyway don’t think i need to buy any more. but that won’t stop me looking. have some zeds to strip and repaint and some others i’ve been asked to do.

yellowfin
    Participant

I will have my new kayak out on Otago Habour 2 or 3 days a week starting 1st November… hopefully it wont take me too long to land my first Salmon of the season.

burkefish
    Participant

i have this theory that the 1st fish of the season is the hardest to catch. in 23 seasons of fishing where i do. the latest in a season to get the 1st one has been the 2nd of march, yet i still finished the season with the 23year average. also i always expect to have a 4or 5 week period during a season when i don’t touch a fish. teaches you either patience or shows how addicted you are to salmon fishing. just over 2 months until the first fish is sighted.

yellowfin
    Participant

I am yet to catch a spawning salmon… i started fishing for salmon in 1998/99 season, just as it started to die off. had no luck after watching countless salmon get caught the previous 2 seasons. I did some traveling in 2008 and came back to give it another go, only to break my leg before the season started and i finaly get back on my feet and do my first fish for the year on 1st april.. 1 day too late for the mighty Waitaki, so only trout or canal/lake salmon since (8lb is my biggest).

this season will be my season to shine… bring on the big boys.

i caught this fish on saturday, am i cheating???

yellowfin
    Participant

have only fished for salmon once or twice so i can class my self as having “much” of an average, Though did get one on my first trip out

burkefish
    Participant

they did a survey once in canterbury to find out the average number of salmon the average salmon angler caught. the answer they got was-0. so that means if you get one fish you are an expert? it seems to me there are 2 things that can improve you chance of catching salmon. 1- spend as much time at it as you can and watch closely those you see catching fish ,ask their advise- most will give it freely. 2- watch the river for the lines the fish are travelling up on. ie- if you see a fish porpoise, watch to see if another one does in that area see 2 more, then make sure every cast goes through that area. salmon look for the easiest path up a river to conserve energy so mostly follow the same line, and it is not always along the edges. another thing be on the lookout to try new gear or techniques.that keeps thinking about what you are doing. but as with all salmon fishing there is the one thing you can’t control and thats the ‘luck’ component of salmon fishing that always applies

yellowfin
    Participant

yes they did a survey this past season also as fish and game gave me a call

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I had that call from Fish and game too. Hey Larry did you catch any Salmon before Xmas last season?? I might just concentrate on sea run trout until Jan i think… Atleast they are easier to catch!!

yellowfin
    Participant

never have had a go at sea run trout but will look into it soon

shark slayer
    Participant

when do the sea runs show up?early spring??

burkefish
    Participant

no didn’t last year, haven’t since 07 when i got the first one in november. due for early ones this year, have that feeling and that i can put more time now.

burkefish
    Participant

some searuns been seen in lower mak, after early bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

Sea runners should be showing up now, but in poor condition until early to mid september. im hearing of some eel-esk searunners being caught from Taieri mouth. I went and checked it out yesterday but it was too dirty to fish.

shark slayer
    Participant

might wait till mid sep and have a go,ya get em’ up kaikoura way right??

shark slayer
    Participant

oh and nice salmon there jezza!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members