Salmon Season – 2010/2011

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I agree with the shite comment,if things don’t improve this will go down as the poorest season on record..surely!!…even in poor years prior there were still fish to be seen,not many perhaps, but at least some to keep the interest up…lets hope for a good Feb/march!!

baitman
    Participant

heavy rain warning issued for the main divide for sunday arvo 100 – 150 mm. Hopefully this fresh will bring some.

yellowfin
    Participant

“>…I find it sad to see our salmon fishery continue to struggle when you see picks of fish like this being caught from the newly emerging Chilean salmon run.More and more huge fish are starting to return to south American rivers while ours dwindle..no more is NZ the only place where a self sustaining run of introduced Chinook salmon occurs in the southern hemisphere,and they have Atlantic salmon also..lucky buggers!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Thats one hell of a fish !

Checked out the Waimak again this morning. Fished from dark until 8am and saw 2 kahawai, 2 big herrings and a couta caught. You know what they say, persistance pays off so I will be back again.

Anyone fish the Rakaia or Rangi today ?

yellowfin
    Participant

Not me,but I will be heading down to the rakaia at first light in the morning…I wish we had more updates from chaps fishing at the Rakaia mouth,considering the amount of anglers that fish there we hear very little!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I have only just joined this forum but will be happy to give reports after each outing. I figure that if more people are posting when and where fish are caught it will save on wasted trips only to find the river/surf unfishable. I hate to think of how many litres of diesel I have burned already this season and I have still only seen one salmon landed ! I would be at the Rakaia in the morning but I have to pick up a work mate from the airport so may have a look after work if I hear a fish or two have been landed. To say I’m itching to get my first for the season is an understatement !

yellowfin
    Participant

Same,it’s hard to justify the fuel costs nowadays..to know that a run of fish had entered the mouth over the preceding few days would be of great benefit!!

yellowfin
    Participant

I havn’t seen a salmon on the bank yet!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes,it would be nice to start hearing from some rakaia lads,,letting us know how its fishing as we are doing our best to keep them update about the waimak,,.hope we get some fish arriving before the waimak comp.

Gofish270
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve also wasted a bit of diesel this season and will post anything interesting.
    I’ve not seen or caught any salmon for the season so far.

yellowfin
    Participant

Been down to mackintoshes after lunch today, Seen 1 salmon landed off one of the boats, the first salmon ive seen in the flesh so hopefully this is an improvement for the coming weeks on a frustrating salmon season so far

yellowfin
    Participant

hi guys im new to this salmon forum my names tom hodge do a lot of salmon fishing

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

hooked either a good kahawai or a small foul hooded salmon in the surf at the Mak this evening. It took a lot of line before launching into cart wheels and throwing the hook. Most likely a kahawai but behaved more like a salmon when running. Didn’t see any salmon landed but it is good to hear one was landed at McIntoshes, makes me want to ditch work tomorrow and put the boat in the river instead !

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

tomhodge12

yellowfin
    Participant

hows it going i fish the waimak alot and hav tried the kaiapoi many times i mainly fish the kaiapoi mouth what a bout yourself

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.