Salmon Season – 2010/2011

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

a friend of mine told me he saw a guy land a 30 pound salmon from opihi? river

yellowfin
    Participant

Taking the kayak out tomorrow,planning on paddling from the main rd bridge down to the rakaia mouth.Hopefully the big floods will have created some primo pools!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Anything happening at the mac?

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the rakaia today,suprised that it was still dirty as it was flowing below 140 yesterday,didn’t bother launching the kayak but did see a few fish in a nice pool just up from the mouth.There were plenty of guys down there so perhaps they all made the same mistake I did.The ecan river flows site says that the rakaia is flowing at 65cumecs!!!..must be an error somewhere,surely!!!“>

baitman
    Participant

yup my guess is about 250 cum I had a scout about above the bridge some nice looking holes didn’t see any fish though I rekon it’ll be a week before they are up my end.

Participant

Thats a buggur kevo, heard there was 1 salmon caught south side kaiapoi mouth this morning

yellowfin
    Participant

Three fish at mouth of kaiapoi,,,so i was told.one salmon lost at the mouth next too me in the surf ”tuesday,,
    so rakaia not fishable????

baitman
    Participant

I went looking for a trout tonight the rakaia is looking better ( I would fish it for salmon) the flow is still high but I think you could find some good pools now to have a crack in and when its running like this new fish will be entering your pool all the time.
    IMO 230 cum down to 180 cum is when the salmon are most active (fish all day) Below that I don’t fish past midday.Mid river fishing.
    Also there was a bulldozer below the bridge today pushing around shingle on the northern side so that might change things too.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks baitman,waimak running clean now,just waiting for the first salmon to be caught at the mouth, after this flood,might head down to rakaia sunday for alook.

yellowfin
    Participant

Kayaked from the main rd bridge to the mouth of the rakaia today..6hrs on the water and I didn’t see a fish or any sign of one..neither had anybody I spoke to,very quiet!!

mulletman
    Participant

was at waimak mouth today, only a few kahawai and a big stingray caught

yellowfin
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

Have spent this last few days blinging out some old zeddies,ticers and wedges…let’s hope the rivers come right soon and that a few fish have decided to run so I can try them out!!“>

Participant

You been a busy boy kevo, hey what kind of green paint did you use ?

mulletman
    Participant

do you think the green works well???, i put some blue paint in a line down one side of my zeddies to make it look more like a smelt

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.