Salmon Season – 2010/2011

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    baitman
    Participant

just been out to the rakaia still too dirty be early next week before it’s clean enough.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey mulletman,yeah I rate green mate but have caught far more fish on plain silver,just painting up some old spinners which is far cheaper than getting them re silvered.Honestly,I don’t think colour will matter one bit if poor technique is employed,there is no magic shade that will automatically produce more fish.I have seen limit bags taken on black,white,yellow, green, silver,brass,copper and red!!..as long as you have confidence in what you use and use it properly in a good pool ,at the right time, sooner or later a fish will take,that’s what I believe!!

mulletman
    Participant

yea, well i guess that if goes past a salmon, the salmon will get pissed and take, so i guess that colour is not as important as it seems

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anybody heard of any catches this last few days?

mulletman
    Participant

i have not heard of much no, apart from a searun under the bridge

yellowfin
    Participant

Was chatting to a fella yesterday morning at the mouth bout the haps and all he knows about is 3 being caught on the south side of the kaiapoi mouth maybe 10 days – 2weeks ago i think he said, apart from that just kawahai via bait fishing :grin:

baitman
    Participant

haven’t heard anything about the rakaia but it looks superb. Guy I know had some gear stolen from his car while fishing yesterday afternoon at darrochs road end so beaware and lockup some mongrels out there!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Got a small salmon in the middle reaches of the rakaia yesterday. Still did’t see any all day, the colour was perfect.

yellowfin
    Participant

Kayaked from the highway bridge to Griggs rd today,the river was perfect until I hopped in the boat,at that time a bank started to erode into the river colouring it up considerably.Found a prime pool a few kms down, seen a fish rise in it but it may have been a big trout, it was hard to tell as I only seen it from behind,seen another fish rise in a pool by the golf course..again didn’t get a good look at it, but it wasn’t big.2 anglers on the river that I saw and neither had seen or touched a thing.Heard of one guy catching 3 down from the gorge yesterday,one was foul hooked,then 4 more came from the same pool this morning!!

yellowfin
    Participant

i heard that too !!
    haha ..
    kev im keen for kahawai but i think the rivers
    are gonna come down a little ..
    see what happens

yellowfin
    Participant

Maybe mate,heading back down to the rakaia in the morn if you are keen,just give me a call tonight!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Fished the Rangitata yesterday morning. Very shallow in the surf and gave that up after 1/2 an hour. Saw what looked to be a nice sea run or small salmon taken on the north side in the gut. Tried the gut for a few hours but gave up as not a single fish was caught and went to the Orari to have a crack in the surf. I hoped it would be clean and flat. It was flat but very dirty so carried on up to the Rakaia and had a go in the gut. Saw no fish caught so pulled the pin after a couple of hours.

Had a look at the Waimak this morning. Got there late (6am) and was surprised at how may people were fishing the mouth. I spose its getting close to the traditionally late run. The colour was good and flow not too high but only saw a kahawai caught in the 2 hours I fished. At dead low tide the river is twice the width it was last year. Looks like its flowing closer to the south side but access there will be limited to an hour or two either side of low tide I reckon. Mite be time to try a fish from the boat, either at McIntoshes or right on the edge of the lagoon. Looks like the only way to get to the deeper water near the mouth. Maybe find a deep hole with the souder. Either way I need to try something different !

yellowfin
    Participant

fished the rangitata mouth this morning until lunchtime (north side ) nothing for me :(
    saw 1 salmon caught north side and around 4 on the south.. mostly small fish around..
    plenty of kahawai around but the surf is big and faily dirty..
    a guy said that yesterday between 10 and 20 salmon landed at the rangi gut .. but the story changes ..

yellowfin
    Participant

Spent 8hrs on a great pool today,the Rakaia was in good order,fished from 6am until 2pm and seen zilch.Either the fish ain’t running or they are going underground!!

baitman
    Participant

I fished a couple of hrs above the rakaia bridge like you kevo saw nothing . The couple of guys I saw reported nothing aswell.I bailed when the sw picked up the flying silt made it unbearable ( and there was cricket to watch)
    Really hoping for a late big run cause this is shite.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.