Salmon Season – 2010/2011

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I fish mostly the mouth of the Waimak. Last year mostly the south side and picked up an 11lb fish there which was my only one for the season. Have been to the Orari, Rangi and Rakaia for a couple of early morning goes in the surf but its been either too big or too dirty to bother having a cast.

Does anyone know if the lock has been changed this year for the south side of the waimak ?

yellowfin
    Participant

oh k whats the mak mouth been like this year have many fish been taken in the last week or so

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

nothing taken this week when I have been there. Some good kahawai tho mostly by the guys chasing them near the surf. Some guys reckon a couple of salmon a day have been caught but I haven’t seen anything. The guys at Hunting and Fishing told me 15 fish were taken in the surf at the Rangi on Friday morning. I was there from sunrise till about 10am and my mate and I were the only two in the surf so I don’t know where they got their intel from !

yellowfin
    Participant

mmmm its been slow so far at the waimak yh its true 15 fish betwen 12 anglers on the south side of the rangi surf mark p from hamills got 2 of them they were both round 20 lb big fish

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Yeah north side. When I got there I new the north side looked better. The south side was shallow as. Tried to cast over to the deep patch in front of the north but couldn’t get that far. Will have a look there later this week and try to pull a couple out.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh k all it needs is some fish to show up now i might try my luck tomoz down at the mouth

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice to see you on here Tom..went to the rakaia this morning,fished from first light through to 10am..the only fish I seen was a small 8lber that I caught,at least it’s a fish!!.no boats launched today and the river was in perfect order,happy to be off the dreaded duck now!!“>“>

yellowfin
    Participant

good stuff kev nice looking fish

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Nice work Kevo, good to see you have one one the board. Good to see your effort painting your wobblers has paid off.

yellowfin
    Participant

hay iv got heapz of old zeddies im gana paint white wich type of paint do i use for that and where will i find it thankz

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers ladies,that’s the first fish I have taken on the white zeddie,it looked superb coming through the water with the flouro chartreuse on it,picked the fish up on my first run through the pool after 15mins or so.As for the white paint, I just asked the dude at Bunnings about what to use on metal and in water then I epoxied over it..as for the green?..well that’s top secret info lol!!

yellowfin
    Participant

haha nice so prity much just water prof paint should do the job do u need to do a couple of coats or will one be enough

yellowfin
    Participant

I dangle mine off a wire hook and dip it in the tin,I also give them 2 coats for good measure..on the salmon home page there is an article about painting old zeddies,there may be some useful tips for you to look at there mate!!

yellowfin
    Participant

oh k kwl thnkz

yellowfin
    Participant

Looks like you just got that fish in time. The rivers are coming down again!!! :mad:

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.