Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Jones Jr.
    Participant

That’s a friggin nice tope there HLS! Can you point me to a post saying what rig and bait you get these things on? Or if you could tell me that would be sweet! I will bestow all my moki knowledge that I can in exchange. All up I got 10 on Thursday and Friday, 4 nice sized ones. (to me they seemed nice sized!) Although I believe they get a fair bit bigger.

Yep, can confirm what TFG said. The butterfish were caught on light rig consisting of 2 or perhaps even 4 hooks just like you would do for mullet. And small bits of mussel on each hook (just the lip part). There were a group of kids there who tried limpit for bait on small hooks and dam they got a nice butterfish, so that would be worth a shot to.

Cheers
    Aaron

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi no worries nothing special the rig consists of a single ledger with a wire dropper attacthed using a 4oz bos usually

Miliwolf
    Participant

Were the butters caught during the day or at night?

Fished at the wharf for a couple of hours after the comp ended. Had one fish on, felt like a moki. But other then that the fishing was slow.

Mussels is meant to be one of the best baits for butterfish.

yellowfin
    Participant

during the day

Jones Jr.
    Participant

That’s detailed enough, and a simple enough sounding rig there HLS. Cheers for that. Oh well, spose it is a matter of right place right time. Seems like the tope will take any fresh cut bait, be it mullet, kaiwhai, red cod. Where as the Rig are more specific taking crab, prawn. That sort’ve thing.

The Moki were just on simple ledger rigs with a 1 to 2 Oz sinker on the bottom, 2 x 1/0 hooks. A piece of cook prawn on each hook about 1.5cm cubed to be near enough. Worked the trick. The Moki when they bite are nice singular bites about the same as a good sized mullet would do (not that big when you consider the size of fish on the other end). The thing is, you gotta be ready to strike them when they do bite a particular way. It’s not like a normal bite where there’s a beginning and an end to it….your typical “do do” bite (which the moki still do)….. You know when to strike when you get a “do” and it’s like it forgets to let go “that’s when you strike!” The thing is I suspect the moki are just mouthing the bait if that makes any sense, sucking at it. Not really munching on it hardcore. If I didn’t strike any of those fish my bet is they would’ve just let go and I wouldn’t of realized it.

Does any of that make sense? Me spitting out my continuous ramblings of crud. haha. :)

I think I’ll have to do those pics tomorrow, never seems to be enough time in the day!

Cheers
    Aaron

Trouser Cough
    Participant

Shark_Tale

yellowfin
    Participant

I was there on sat night, not sunday.

Trouser Cough
    Participant
    The mess seems to have got substatially worse recently.
    St_Paul
    Participant

Was out there on monday avo, caught bugger all except a big tangle of someones lost line. have noticed a lot more rubbish being left behind also more signs of fires being lit on the beach too.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just thought I would say that a mate was fishing off a boat nth of kaikoura and caught a yellow fin, cant remember the place he said but thought everyone should know that they are about.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

That is very interesting news indeed.

Cheers Yellowfin

storm
    Participant

its been pretty quite since new years quite a few 7 gillers caught round xmas time though

yellowfin
    Participant

Where abouts are you talking about??

storm
    Participant

temuka

St_Paul
    Participant

had a quick flick at wakanui yesterday around 1, got 1 smallish rig (released) and a tasty elephant around 4kg. both on prawn and a pulley rig.

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.