Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

went out southshore yesterday with chris to get crabs . seems to be alot of mullet around. cast my trace in and as soon as i tightened up the slack i had a mullet on every hook

mulletman
    Participant

were u casting out far :?:

fishforpot
    Participant

He was casting 450 mtrs give or take ….tail wind tho

Wonder if there’s many kahawai over Taylors at the moment ….

yellowfin
    Participant

Really need to get out for some decent fishing but all the local beaches are way to rough till probably wednesday. Not working till tuesday night. Got some ideas for summer round the local beaches that involve big baits and hopefully big schoolies/seven gillers or something bigger just gotta wait for the water to warm up a bit. First method involves casting out a 7 or 8oz breakout sinker with a metal stopper ring at the end of the shockleader and then using a slide trace to slide whole kahawai/mullet down the line, either dead or live ones. Always thought about using a balloon to send out baits but the winds gotta be right and it’s always been to much hassle for me to even bother so was thinking of building some sort of kontiki type thing to take baits out into deeper water. Not sure where the deepest water or steepest drop-off is on this side of the rakaia mouth but I heard dorie is meant to be a bit deeper than the other beaches not sure about pendarves and wakanui and unless any difference in depth was a lot I doubt it would make much difference to the fishing. Probably be a month till the big schoolies show up anyway.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

same here in timaru nor easters all last week and rough southerly all weekend cant go fishing have got a bit of whitebait not much tho

fishforpot
    Participant

Its doable Zac ……and isnt that hard …..

I used to use a casting kite to deploy baits …..have been thinking about doing it again but 400 yards offshore on the rod , with live or dead bait for the larger schoolies which hang back about that distance from the beach

Somewhere on this site I posted a method of livebaiting the bottom , this has the benifit of keeping the bait away from dogfish , crabs and sealice …certainly worth a try …..

I wouldnt do pendarves , the cliff makes the wind fickle …dorie may be a go tho ……Id be heading to my spot further along baileys if and when I try it ……
    I’d be keen come Jan ….they should be here a little before that but lets maximise our chances I say

yellowfin
    Participant

That 21kg schoolie baitman got at wakanui was mid december last year so december/january seem to be the peak months. I think a lot of the big schoolies off the pier have been around january although a guy lost a good sized one really early last year might have been around start of november although there was never any other big schoolies around that time. Doubt I’ll be going anywhere today, just about to go to bed now..

fishforpot
    Participant

Im pondering heading over to Taylors , try the livey on the bottom for some kahawai … will soon see if nay schollies of size are around ……
    Might take young sam over there ……I wonder if its too early to ring him lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Took a walk down the New Brighton pier today and saw the fish ID sign. Was wondering do you guys regularly (or ever) catch Trevally and Gurnard while fishing there?

yellowfin
    Participant

no gurnard and in january get a few baby trevally

fishforpot
    Participant

Only a matter of time , and snapper …..

I know the crab man who used to set nets at the same distance off the beach along there for pot bait caught a couple of snapper over the years
    He also caught quite a few kingies …and other rare species …….

A 12’6″ mako too ……..but no broadies

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went fishing this morning south of timaru didnt get there till 11 am had to werk before that sea was fishable but quite a nor east dump on the beach, rod bent over good cow ele too lost her in the surf 10 metres away from me bit gutted but thats fishing.

mulletman
    Participant

weve all been there, i know your pain lost a big rig just feet from me in the weekend.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

surfcasting south of timaru this morn brat schoolies and dogs i dont know when an edible sized schoolie will show up usually here by now

Miliwolf
    Participant

I do not think there is any such thing as a eatable size schoolie.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.