Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Im struggling to understand your post millie …. are you saying schoolies are not edible ? or they are either too small or too big to eat ?

Cause they grow pretty big ….

Miliwolf
    Participant

Larger size does not make them eatable. Suppose cutting one into bait could produce something eatable.

baitman
    Participant

LOL… Handled well they are good eating IMO
    I also think they need to be frozen asap and cooked from frozen.

fishforpot
    Participant

I rate them above rig , below elephant fish …….

Sooner catch and eat a schoolie than a rig …taste is about the same but the texture is better …..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Suppose anything is better then Red Cod.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

good size rig today at baylys beach on squid middle of the day..anybody have any recipes to get rid of the ammonia smell from the fillets?

magooes
    Participant

Is the water very clean at Bayleys? I must be a fairly small swell by now?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup very clear..heres the second one I got an hour ago..no swell flat as

baitman
    Participant

to get rid of the ammonia smell gut as soon as you can (immediately) and scrape the bloody stuff off the back bone inside the gut cavity, I also split the body all the way to the tail to make sure you get it all. A tea spoon works good for the scraping then wash out with salt water. (I hope you took ur trash with you?) :smile:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from a snapper fish, caught a single Snapper shortly after 8pm. Good strong fight, first glance thought he was a 12-14lber but weighed him anyway. Scaled showed a good 21lb so a new personal best. Maybe half hour later had another powerful fish on, it did a initial powerful run and looked like it was going to spool me (So I tighten drag) and was gaining line. Did not feel like a Ray and only felt 4 shacks towards the end. Did several small runs throughout the fight. Unfortunately the fish won and snapped the line before I could see it.

Conditions were very nice, got there around 7:30pm and put up with spotties and the sea breeze for a while before the wind died down and the spotties went to bed. Tide was low when I got there and was incoming. Stopped fishing at 9:30pm. Only a few quick strikes after dark but nothing hooked.

yellowfin
    Participant

just back from the beach north of timaru good ellies bout tonight cooked shrimp tails for the bait kept 2 big cows and put the rest back 5 all up awsome night for it
    :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice fish Mili. You’ve started the snap season pretty well this year.

fishforpot
    Participant

Ah birdlings , thats a school shark you have there ….or have I misinterpreted your post ?

Lets hope its still calm and clear tomorrow morning , heading down bayleys early early for some elephants

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

ahhh thats the trouble with spending 30 years chasing snapper and kingfish around the north.,.everybody has given me diff information on the fish species here..ok then theres “greyboys””Rig””tope”??..have landed a few 7 gillers..and over 70 moki here one season..but dont know the ID for all the shark varieties..so that was a “schoolie”..how do I tell a “rig”..cheers..and anybody whos passing drop in for a cuppa at the art gallery at Birdlings if ya going past..On the 19th of this month 5 of us from Birdlings are off for 7 days at Mokihanui(gentle annies)snap and kahawai chasing..great to have a holiday from here..lol

so I wonder which shark this was the other day??

baitman
    Participant

That fish has spots so I would call it a RIG I think ?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.