Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Birdlingsflat
    Participant

..and did your giller puke up?Sounds like a cool night very clear with those stars..Well theres little wind out here this morning sea is flat-the sun is shining..should be a spectacular evening fish(dont quote me on that..)

baitman
    Participant

I can see a southerly front coming way down south looks about 6 hrs away I’d get out this morning if i wasn’t working :|
    funny how you can see the sun setting in the sea when you live on the east coast eh

yellowfin
    Participant

Made it out to Mainwarings yesterday, 4 x spineys for my effort :sad: , pulled the pin around 6pm as the swell and wind started to pick up, guessing it did not last long.

yellowfin
    Participant

was cool indeed very clear sunset was awesome too

oldgreyboy
    Participant

watched a chap have a good battle with a large stingray off timaru wharf this morn he got it to the surface once then it snagged the line around a barge and he lost it surcasting is dead here 3 times out not even a bite

Anonymous
    Inactive

whens good fishing at the kaikoura wharf?weather wise?

yellowfin
    Participant

Anytime, it all comes down to what you yourself can handle if you dont mind rain or wind well that helps as long as its not too rough of a sea it wont matter in kaikoura

elmo22
    Participant

great photo of the sun going down, great time to be out there to enjoy the sights that we have around here as well as have a rod out fishing

yellowfin
    Participant

That it was elmo it was a great sight friday night out there watching it going down looked exactly like that photo though a photo cant beat the real thing

yellowfin
    Participant

We spent the weekend at a holiday house in Kaikoura near the New World supermarket, so I walked down the back and went for a fish on Friday night. I brought back a 50cm flatfish – either a large sole or maybe a turbot or brill??

I also lost what would’ve been 2 large rig – one either got off the hook or let go of the crab, the other bent the hook (must stop using mutsu hooks from the warehouse except for smaller fish). Lots of dogfish around plus the occasional red cod but the cod weren’t quite fat enough for my liking.

yellowfin
    Participant

I were meant to go up there this weekend but ddnt end up going, Loads of dogfish? hmmm thats one thing ive never seeed to have a problem with there, a few but not alot

yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t catch any dogfish (or red cod) once I switched to crab + cooked prawn, although I think the fishing was quietening down then anyway.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh ok never really used crab or anything from the beach there as im usually targeting congers or sharks

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had a unsuccessful fish at Karaka point last night… Not much wind and overcast conditions, I hate boats….

This was my first visit to Karaka at low tide… Was disappointed that there was no place for a rock spike, plus the beach is nearly impossible to push beach spikes into…. Would have thought such a popular spot would of had permanent rod holders installed… Suppose the guys who go to the effort to install rod holders normally make the effort to access less popular sites.

Anyway, eventually found a half secure spot for my rock spike. Burley in water, cast after cast and could not catch a KY. Evenutally foul hooked a large garfish, which quickly died on me… Live bait attempt failed almost before it started. Was now getting dark so decided not to waste the trip and change to strayline rigs and targeted Snapper… not even a bite. Gave up around 9pm. There must be a better kingie point then Karaka, just need to find it.

Hardy
    Participant

Well Arty Farty One, been chasing Rig by day and snapper by night. Lots of small snapper over here at the moment. Legals, Pannies but you need a small pan. :grin:
    Scored a few Rig in my daytime adventures, got a 4lb snapper last night, so I can take the big pan out. Had seven good Rig hits today, and not one hook up. The buggars were just mouthing and dropping, prawns came back in mangled. Got one about 12lb yesterday. A few Greyboys along the way. The sea is like a lake over here. Due to change Monday with a southerly coming through. Made up some exquisite Fish stock today, with my saved up snapper heads and wings and bits. (De-gilled) as that makes the stock bitter. Will make a great Fish Soup Base. Saw a bad sign today. Spotted a dead fish being cast up on the beach. Oh no, it was one of them, the Red Devils, the rest of the herd cant be far off and their little spikey mates. Last of the Summer Wine eh. So I am out everyday while good fish are around, the sea is flat, and it is a nice sunny day.

Cheers Trev

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.