Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

hey shark tales can a 4×4 hilux drive though the creek and up the other side to the beach and fish…looked at that place the other week when me and the wife went out there but a bit scared to go though the creek the other side looks abit soft or is it only for bikes

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent a couple of hours fishing ocean bay point in Port Underwood, these a nice ledge there straight into 5-6m of water. Dissolved 5kg of Burley into the water and attracted 3 medium size Kahawai and a couple of mullets. Gave up in disgust. Wind was a pain.

yellowfin
    Participant

elmo22

oldgreyboy
    Participant

a kilo of whitebait sunday and surfcasting today two rods squid and prawn first light 10 miles north of timaru got three dogs and a small grey boy there was three fresh ele heads and a rig head on the beach a young chap next to me had his headlamp on and said he got the eles at three in the morning

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to tuamutu this evening, no fish or elephants in the sea, only dogs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Went for a fish at pendarves mid afternoon yesterday (monday), nice weather and good to see the rig and eles back too . Caught one good ele and also mid sized rig, were using crab on 1 rod for bait and squid on the other rod , funnily enough both fish were taken on the squid .

yellowfin
    Participant

tbloom22

Anonymous
    Inactive

zac

St_Paul
    Participant

nice fish! used to fish there and wakanui a bit. cooked prawns were consistent performers bait wise.

yellowfin
    Participant

Haven’t had any luck with cooked prawns. Used them last time I was at wakanui and only bite I got was on old black crabs nothing on the prawns. Really need to stock up on some fresh crabs for the freezer so they last a few weeks.

Might head out to wakanui now for a bit of a 3am fish and use up the rest of the cooked prawns I’ve got.

yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t end up going to wakanui the other night but fished for a few hours at wakanui this afternoon. Only had prawns for bait but hooked a small rig not long after arriving which I released. Rebaited and caught another slightly bigger rig, decided to keep it in case I didn’t get any more which turned out to be the case. Got a small ele before packing up just as the southerly change and rain showed up. Not the best fishing but I’m sure they’re out there just need to get some crab baits, really not a fan of prawns.

fishforpot
    Participant

Whats with the cut tail Zac ????? if you want to bleed a fish , can I suggest you open the gill area , or cut thru in front of that , expose the main artery from the heart to the gills and carefully cut that ….DO NOT kill the fish ……let it use its own heart to pump its blood out ……..

Someone showed me this trick years ago ……….blue cod turn ghost white when bled right ……its the way the commercial boys do the tuna they get $20 000 a fish for

Oh , and that must be a HUGE reel our using lol …….but hey , its better than no elephant fish ……I might head out Sunday sparrow fart and try my luck

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah wasn’t the biggest fish probably shoulda let it go. Was only planning on keeping one rig and one ele to take home woulda released anymore. I didn’t really cut the tail to bleed it was just cutting all the fins off but then decided to take a picture first before I gutted it etc

yellowfin
    Participant

looks to be an okuma axeon reel

fishforpot
    Participant

I do the same before they go in the chilly bin ……..first thing I do before anything else is I pick up to big stones and smack one onto the other breaking off the spike ……..those bastards know how t use that sucker …..
    I watched one a few years back , it flicked itself into the air and came down spike first on this guys foot …I was standing beside him ….it went right thru his big toe …squealed like a little girl …his sandshoes didnt slow it down , right thru the lot

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.