Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Same thing happens at all the club comps and the dogfish just keep coming all day must be millions of them out there just wish species like rig and elephant outnumbered dogfish. Comercial fishing is only going to continue and probably going to be more demand for fish in future years. 40 or 50 years is in my lifetime I just hope the fishing isn’t so bad by then that land based fishing and surfcasting isn’t even worth the time.

yellowfin
    Participant

A lot of surfcasting trips turn out to be a waste of time already.. it’s so frustrating when the conditions are great for catching fish, but there just don’t seem to be any fish around or sea lice are stripping your baits quickly.

Miliwolf
    Participant

No such thing as a wasted trip, time spent wetting bait helps to build knowledge, and knowledge is what catches fish consistently.

Spent a couple of hours targeting Rig at Rarangi last night, wind was from behind but with extremely powerful gusts at times. Sea was quite calm. Only caught a single skate, forgot my headlamp so did not stay for long after dusk.

Participant

Managed to catch a lice ridden Perch on friday in Kaikoura, aswell as break my umbrella and lose a rod handle overboard… Should have waited until Saturday

yellowfin
    Participant

If weathers all good might go up to Kaikoura on Saturday. Anyone heard much about the kahawai? Heard there has been some massive schools offshore, are they coming in close to the beaches?

St_Paul
    Participant

Am off to kaikoura tomorrow for work, hope to have a fish if the weather cooperates. Will post if I see anything worth posting

St_Paul
    Participant

heaps of kahawai about at kaikoura off the railway station beach and the esplanade beach. All caught on the spinning rod.

yellowfin
    Participant

may also head to kaikoura sat arvo or early sunday. meant to be looking at buying a new car saturday so that will delay me a lil bit

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Bayles beach this evening

2 small grey boys
    1 small red cod

fishforpot
    Participant

Have bike will travel …….how far down did you go ? and what bait did you use ?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Yup I have between Birdlings and the rakaia to fish every day if I wish..(terrible life)Its a tad horrible if you consider I grew up in the north chasing snapper and kingis every week..I fished just 1km south of Bayles last night with squid wrapped with mussel and tied..wishing I was near Kaikoura for the Kahawai…cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

fishforpot
    Participant

Birdlings , you ever fish between baileys and tuamutu ? maybe closer to tuamutu side ? …the water is a lot deeper along there for some reason ….just where the sandhills go from really high to a bit lower again …heading south I mean ….

A hell of a lot of sharks there tho …but more of everything

yellowfin
    Participant

I always fish tuamutu, down the street with the old church then cross the stream and fish right out in front. We bit further to go than birdlings but then seem to get better results, prob head out this long weekend weather depending,

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

yup have had good catches there in the past..twwen taumutu and bayles…seem to be more depth like you said.more elephant fish too..have spent a while watching whales and dolphins there..long ride from birdlings though..will be down that way more this summer tho…heres the boys at taumutu the other day

we couldnt go any further as the lake was open..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.