Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

na, i put him back, right after i took that pic, i have caught those before but never that big, il eat the next one we get, we were going to go 2 motunau this arvo, but its not looking good

mulletman
    Participant

they have a huge mouth compared to the body, thanks for the names birdlings, they look a lot like sea perch, but more red

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Hey Jake…colours in fish change often with their environment..sorta like angry people..lol :grin: The diff in a blue cod from up north to that of one in the deep south is quite amazing..along with snapper from kelpies to schoolies…Whimped out from a fish this morning..too blustery..although theres been a vehicles down the road who have..any reports?

fishforpot
    Participant

Looks to be a red scorpian fish ……catch heaps around the foul …..great to eat
    Maori Chief is like a fat headed blue cod , its brown/black with really course scale and covered in weird white and offwhite dots …HUGE head ….
    Catch a lot around Goat Point ….6lb is quite common ……..they seem to sit on the bottom sucking up any burley or fish frames we throw in ….garbage disposal units lol

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Yup we have those big heads off here sometimes we catch em when targeting Moki.they remind me of an aussie “flattie”.me mate swears they are delicious..mind you he did eat an old squid that washed up here once and reckoned it was nice..and he was the first of us here to make a pattie outa junior lampreys..I quite like the adult lamprey though..they wash up in the gravel troughs trying to get back to the lake..The kahawai were full of smelt (the cucumber ones)by the way oodles of them..

mulletman
    Participant

see, i caught him, then caught a few pearch, very diffrent colours, same place

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

hi does anyone know how to catch crabs on rod and reel around the ashburton river mouth ?
    cheers

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

conditions excellent along the beach today..wind has dropped water clear..birds around not much swell very swimmable :grin:

oldgreyboy
    Participant

was off at 5.30 am got to the beach there was big nor east dumpers on the beach so came home after a while went to caroline bay some chaps had a dinghy and has a flounder drag net they got some lovely big yellowbellies i want to make a drag net i need 40 metres of netting some hwere in christchurch has it cheap by the hank any hepl please thanks

fishforpot
    Participant

Excellent …..hopefully tomorrow will be even better …looks like Im heading out for a day fish , hope it’s not too hot …

Drop by and say Hi Ian …if you venture as far down as we will be that is …16-17kms …. major bite time tomorrow is 11.20-1.20pm …3 star fishing day too ….so hopefully we can scrange up a feed somehow ….maybe we will stay late and fish into dusk

fishforpot
    Participant

Drop seahunter a line ….he might have an old one ya can have cheap ………

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

so you will be just a tad south or north of mutu?midday on..

fishforpot
    Participant

Guessing 17km’s south of Birdlings … so north or east I guess , of taumutu

We go down the fenceline between Mike’s and Bill/Graham’s ….fishing Bills side …..

You would have seen the huge driftwood tree at the base of the sandhills ? we are just beside that

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.