Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    baitman
    Participant

Merry xmas one and all ho ho ho :)

yellowfin
    Participant

fishforpot

yellowfin
    Participant

fished amberley form 2-7 today and had no luck :( all i caught was a crab, People beside were long lining and fist set only bought in one small shark and then second was a goodie, at least 16 Sharks and maybe one or two kawahai, there was a huge bird commotion bout 600m out that went up and down the beach for a bit but vanished pretty fast, all in all a pretty average day

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds like Greg caught a 7 giller and a thresher today up in kaiks

fisherman24
    Participant

huntz n fishes nz

yellowfin
    Participant

Hae mate, Proberbly not the best but, Squid, Kawahai and crab, Made things hard when the crabs were stripping the baits very quickly

Cheers

mulletman
    Participant

have never caught anything on squid or kahawai up there, always prawn,crab,mullet. heading to akaroa out on the boat 2mrw morning, try 2 get a few cod and some crays

yellowfin
    Participant

Amberley fishes best at night time with crab baits although there will be some days there’s not as many crabs around during the day it’s pretty much like the Pier.

Saw an article in todays Timaru Herald a guy caught a 1.8kg Snapper surfcasting south of timaru at Jacks Point which I found surprising.. If there’s one there should be more especially of that size. Now’s the time to get out there while the water temps are good snapper and kingfish could be possible around banks peninsula or kaikoura.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Kaikoura yesterday. Was over run by bloody carpet sharks Got a good 7giller and also managed to catch a thresher off the beach which was a nice very fast swimming suprise

yellowfin
    Participant

another quick question for the p’ros how big are the crab baits you use,?? i get mine from the pier and if they are biggish i cut them in half or thirds then wrap the hell outta them with bait cotton, is this right or should i be after the small crabs, Cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

Really big crabs can cut into four peices, medium-small ones in half and really tiny ones you could use whole.

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome stuff mate, Cheers

fishforpot
    Participant

It would depend on your perception of big , small etc …..the tiny ones Id throw back , in saying that , early in the season they are fine whole for rig …….but I prefer to target ele’s

the big ones I cut in half , the medium I use whole

When chasing ele’s , and just as deadly on rig , rip off the legs , rip off the back shell , and fold the middle size ones in half on each other , using the underbelly to cover the meat if the crabs have been frozen ……..bind it on nice and tight

I like to use a keeper hook , sliding on the line which is inserted thru the bound bait giving better chance of a hookup

mulletman
    Participant

went to pompys piller, out akaroa on the boat, got a couple of cod lotsa crays, and manged to lose a big school at the boat, would have been 15lbs+, i use half crabs when fishing amberly, or a section of mullet, always works, but for elephantfish, nothing has ever worked aswell as half/whole tuatua, those shellfish are amazing bait, work whereever i go, brilliant stuff

St_Paul
    Participant

Interesting to see the threshers about down there. Threshers and broadbill are often found in the same habitats so maybe mulletman could be right. Theres a backpackers up on the peninsula rd (barnacle bills??) that has a large bill on the mantle piece that purportedly came from a broadie out on the Kaikoura trench some years back.

15lb is not a big schoolie, I caught one back in november down by the gravel pits in kaikoura that would have gone 50lb easy. Bait was a large strip of kahawai.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.