Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

5 foot 4 tail ……that would make it over 10 feet long ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Headed down the coast for a fish last night, cold wind was blowing which made the sea a bit rough. Decided to take a walk to see if things would calm down. 100m down the beach I noticed a orange flag 250m from the shore. Quickly figured out a kontinki (looked like a expensive one) had gotten snagged out there. After watching it for half a hour the wind had not died down so explored access ways into the Awatere river instead, I suspect shortly after the wind did drop :x Checked on the kontiki again just before dark and it was still there. Upon leaving saw a couple of guys looking at it, suspect they might of been the owners. Wonder if it still out there bobbing away. Probably a massive tangle of Doggies, Red cod and Skate on the line now.

yellowfin
    Participant

sorry for the dumb question guys,but what beach is Bayleys? I hear you talk about it often

fishforpot
    Participant

Public access thru Doc land I think , some 6-7 km’s towards Rakia from Birdlings ….including another 10-15km’s of coast via beach , or if luck enough , via private property

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

nope fish4pot under 10 foot i measured from where the tale starts(bottom fin)(tail shank)I reckon the body was a little shorter maybe 6 inches or so shorter..so 9 foot 10 inches.. :grin:the tail is drying on my fence now..so it will be there for all to measure.

.Bayleys Beach turn right over the cattle stop at the road into birdlings and follow till you get onto the gravel..follow signs to the carpark..the road to it veers left eventually

fishforpot
    Participant

So total length would be 10footish ? …..dont know why youd measure from the bottom fin …

What was in its stomach ?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

er i mean from the beginning of the bottom tail fin..who gives a shit anyway..
    STOMACH -contents?
    there were two small red gumboots a partridge and a small box of flathead nails,3 different species of frog,five hotrod magazines and a blowup dolphin with a frilly skirt..
    actually with due respect for the fish in hand I didnt rumble through the stomach contents..and left it for the gulls to devour and savour the tasty bits..the need to get home and use my nitro-lingual spray was paramount at that time. :grin: .

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a quick fish at Dorie this morning. Not much swell but was really windy. Crabs were destroying my baits as soon as they hit the water tried crab and mullet/squid, ended up catching one large crab and then the small schoolies and doggies showed up. Saw a big pod of about 10 dolphins they were going crazy 10 – 20 meters out jumping out of the water big lot of birds diving around them as well. Only fished 6 – 7am.

HIPP
    Participant

thanks for the report hopeing to get a few mates together for a fish at Coopers tonight, crazy moon eclispe, how will that effect the fishing I wonder???

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

we never know til it happens-main thing is getting out there..Fishermen must be at the height of optimism..Good luck Hipp :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Should be fine if the wind calms down. Anyone know what that old structure is at Coopers Laggoon? Haven’t been down for a look but thinking it was an old pipe or something that went out to sea? Wish someone could build a wharf going out off one of the canturbury beaches although not sure how it would hold up in a big storm I’m sure it’s possible if they made it high enough to keep away from a big sea, although can’t really see any point in a wharf other than for fishing so doubt it will ever happen.

oldgreyboy
    Participant

went south of timaru this morn rough nor east dump on the beach gave up after half an hour

HIPP
    Participant

The structure to the left of the access road to the beach at Coopers is indeed a pipe system that was used for controlling the lagoon levels,it is now jammed up with shingle,I had alook the other week,

It used to run out quite along way further and years ago I used to run down it as far as i dare to cast out, My ex wife hooked a Moki off there once, crazy as it seems….,

The structure to the right is a controlled outlet for the Salmon farm, Im not sure if it is still in use as sutch but it used to attract a lot of salmon fisherman, me included. I have seen people scoop netting whitebait there too, also was there one day when the smolt were released of which alarge number died of the shock and were washed up on the beach by the thousands.

I havent fished there for anything other than Salmon, any of you guys tried it for Rig or Eleies?

and yes you are right there Birdlings, Ill be out there doing it, thats the main thing,Thanks.

Cheers, Hipp

mulletman
    Participant

a mate of mine got a big school shark out of kaikoura, 11 pound i think, give or take a bit

fishforpot
    Participant

Late one night many years ago , was catching red cod , and every now and then Id think I hooked one and WHAM big pull and nothing …….this happened 3 times before I got pissed off and struck the shit out of of it just as I thought I felt another cod hook … the shit hit the fan
    10 minutes later I landed a huge conger , well over 6 feet long

I ripped open its guts , and found 4 red cod with torn mouths …..mystery solved …..

Would have been really interesting to see what something like a thresher shark might have been feeding on …… like the ele I caught the other night …nothing but crabs , 2 of which Ive only seen in the harbours ….

Can learn a lot from gut contents ….

Mullet , 11lb is a good eating size schoolie …..not unusual for Kaik’s …..its down here we want the big ones ….like the 145lber off the pier ……how insane a fight would that have been

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.