Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

145lb schoolie?

mulletman
    Participant

145lbs is a f**kn big fish

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the end of Chertsey Kyle Road (Pendarves?) at about 11am with my 6 year old boy, was the only chance I had til after xmas, only had servo squid for bait, the wind was up but had a bit of protection from the cliffs, the sea itself althou dirty was pretty much flat until further out. Landed two spineys and school sharks, all bar one were around a foot long. Great day out with the boy, also got to see a couple of dolphins which was awesome. Only downside was the amount of rubbish on the beach and on seeing alot of crab and cray bodies next to the rubbish I was even more disapointed :( , I collected a shopping bag full of bottles when I left but still alot of rubbish there.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Yeah we have rubbish problem here..The stuff I find is incredible!
    I grew up tying flies on what we found in a trouts stomach..and when my health was better chasing snaps,kingis,tuna and whatever from white island to the far north..I was always poking around fishguts for the edge..or anything of interest..one of my fav winter snap spots produced some fine male Snapper..on gutting them I found a bunch of baby snapper an inch and a half long inside them..everybody knows the last bait you ever use is snapper for snapper..so I consulted a lady down Wellington throught marine research at Leigh..she told me that during the winter male snapper of a certain size…wandered around in packs and self regulated the previous years spawn..hatch..so there would be just the right amount of fish for the area..just like a natural quota..
    Neighbour popped intoday to say the kahawai were running along the beach..i promptly quaded down and was constantly bead blasted with extreme heat and high speed grit..god knows what the gust speed was and the fact that I could’nt take my hands off the handle bars for fear of being blown like a sandpapered tumbleweed into the briny …I left with both eyes clenched (a little slit in one to see where to point the bike)I did glimpse fish working and birds having a workup..will pop down when the wind subsides..first time in two years the kahawai have come..maybe this season will be good..more report..later..think I might gear up for a bit of moki this year..few years ago I did really well..love their fight ability off the beach…

elmo22
    Participant

was going to go out to bayles for a fish today to get the top of tide but the wind in town here put me of by the sound of birdling flat pleased i did not go will look at going tomorrow approx 2pm to get the tide. dont like fishing during the day as i dont get much..do like evening and dawn fishing

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

still blustery down there..managed a kahawai for tea..lotsa krill hanging about..kahawai was full of smelt and krill

fisherman24
    Participant

went to birdlings flat yesterday and landed 3 school sharks biggest one was about 4 feet long.I was hoping to get a rig or two in the avo but the crabs were striping my baits strait away so the rig didt have a chance :evil: .Going to ashley beach thursday after work,has anyone fished there recently?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Blue Gums tonight, mainly because it seemed a good location to view the Eclipse. Was a dropping NW wind, and when I got to the beach around 8pm it was quite pleasant apart from the occasional gust. Sea was a bit dirty but cleared up. High tide was around 7:30pm so fished the outgoing tide. Stayed to around 10:00pm. Bites were common, hooked three Rig and landed two. The third was lost in the surf. Crab were consistently getting more strikes then cooked prawn.

Cloud on the Horizon hid moon raise. So people on the beach for the Eclipse got to watch clouds for a couple of hours, around 9:30 the red moon finally revealed itself. Watched the last part of the eclipse while driving home.

HIPP
    Participant

Fished Coopers lagoon beach from about 7.30pm, got anice eley on the first cast, then got the biggest ,cleanest red cod Ive ever seen ohh and asmall seagull,whoops,set him free,

Wind was huge,sea flat,out going tide, lots of dolphins and some really big bird work ups out a fairway, small gulls working the breaking surf too, lots of other bites i think, but hard to say the wind was blowing so hard. other fishers there,didnt notice anything they got,most left just on dusk.

me and a cobber fished till 11pm.

Looks like everyone is reporting quite alot of activity,its very encourageing.

p.s, wheres the blue gums metiond above?

Cheers, Hipp

St_Paul
    Participant

Nice to see the Canterbury coast fishing well. That thresher is awesome!
    Went for a fish at waikawa on monday night, 1 large carpet shark landed and one massive snapper lost :evil:
    Cheap warewhare hook snapped at the last moment :twisted:
    that’ll learn me! off to re-stock with something decent today.
    Was hoping to get out last night but the sounds were a mess after all the heavy rain.

mulletman
    Participant

i fished ashley beach this time last year, got 6 rig, 1 was at least 28lbs, 3 eles and a kahwai, about 7-8 pounds, all on crab or squid

gunnercoops
    Participant

Hey St_Paul I am off to Waikawa in Jan, where do have a chance for snapper…other than Karaka point? We have fished the breakwater before and had a heap of Ky and Trevally, but would love a chance at a snapper. Any advice most welcome :)

yellowfin
    Participant

gunnercoops

mulletman
    Participant

anywere from amberly 2 ashworths beach is worth a go, try and locate a pipi, tuatua bed, and ur on the money, the fish come right in the breakers, trying to get shellfish and crabs dislodged by the wave action, if u can get your bait right under a breaking wave, ul be allgood. :D

gunnercoops
    Participant

a question re Baileys beach area, when casting I wonder where most of you have more success, just behind the waves, a bit further out, or do you cast for the horizon? I can’t say I have experience that any of the options do deliver more fish, but wondered what you more regulars up there think.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.