Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Went down the beach towards Bayleys this morning..had a wee battle with a thresher(the second in my life)

estimated weight over 60kg..caught on 35lb braid Tica reel 4.5 mtre telescopic surf rod..prawn/squid/mussel..combination..may have had small fish on line befoe he struck..battle lasted over an hour

fishforpot
    Participant

Awesome ………I saw one pop out the front of a wave there many years ago ….one swipe of its tail and it was back out to sea ….

Fished down from Baileys last night , 6ish till near 10 …..6 rig and an ele between seahunter and my old man ….
    Sea was flatish , probably a bit lumpy for fishing 2lb line but why not I thought ….just caught the one fish , healthy cow ele of around 12lb , maybe more …Id be guessing a 20 minute fight – ending some 2-300 mtrs south …

As with further East at Baileys proper , crabs were stripping the baits but vanished at about 9ish …..loads of dolphins around , 2 trawlers out in front of us and some massive bird workups half a mile out ……about a dozen gannets were pounding down into it …….very impressive

Funniest moment was the old mans first fish , huge bender , oodles of line stripped and big fight ….till this 5lb rig turns up at his feet ….we were all sure it was a big fish

mulletman
    Participant

holy s**t thats a good fish, ive heard they like to stay deeper, eating squid and small fish, ive only ever heard of one other thresher caught off a beach before, good stuff :grin:

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

that was a good ele fish4pot on light line..yup it seems to be firing down there..mind you I spent nearly an hour being crabbed off this morning before thresh opted in..think I will replace the braid today..it got a bit of a workout..birds and boats working again this morning..lets hope the boats get their quota and bugger off soon..

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive caught bigger , but not in those conditions …

How long was that thresher ? …tail would have to be 5 foot ?

One was caught off the peir a few years ago ….120 lb from memory , it did its thing in between the surfers lol …….good eating I heard

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

tail was 5 foot 4 inches..i have it drying on my fence..very mercury,amonia..type shark..top of the food chain..had an angina attack soon after.didnt have my nitro with me so took off home…was cutting it up.broke my filleting knife.a friend with chooks has arranged to pick up the rest..make real good chook eggs..otherwise the gulls will eat it..I shoulda cut the line when it was tail jumping..!lol..I hate waste..but love a fight..just been out on my road motorcycle to cool off..mellowing out now..

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome. Woulda been a good fight on that 15 foot telescopic and 35lb braid.. It’s amazing the sort of fish that come in so close along the canturbury beaches. Anyone heard of any sizable schoolies being caught yet?

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome catch Birdlingsflat..

One of my mates is dead keen to get onto a decent shark out there. So will have to show him those pics.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

thanks guys :grin: wind is up but sea is still fishable..if the wind dies down may be a good evening shot :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Strong northerly wind here at the moment but swellmap is saying 0.5 meter swell for birdlings flat going down to 0.4 meters tomorow and staying calm till Saturday then apparently 4 meter swells for Sunday.. Meant to be a strong north-wester tomorow might try sending out a balloon at Dorie if the conditions are right.

beameer
    Participant

Well done there Birdlings a prize catch,went out this morning half way between the lake cut and Bayleys got a nice elle the first for several days ,not through lack of trying I might add.Plenty of crab action at our end as well ,trawler finshed his haul in front of me ,hundreds of shags flying never seen so many at one time,got a reasonable grey boy fish and chips for us for tea.Birdlings how come the elle’s appear to have dropped off trawler pressure or is the spawn possibly over???A couple of my mates had there torpedo out for a couple of sets and got nothing :?

yellowfin
    Participant

There were lots of ele’s around at wakanui but they were all tiny seems maybe the bigger ones are moving away? Still haven’t seen any trawlers around wakanui yet this season although I’m sure they would’ve gone past at some point

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

heaven knows the drop off..?I have my theory..it also involves the huge surge of eles we caught before the sea came up the other day(feeding up before a storm)of course the trawlers do not help..and bugger up the migration points and add confusion with spawning areas..point of fact..as long as they have eggs inside theyre still spawning..ten dollars on the trawlers buggering it up..there were 7 this morning..and their trawl nets do rough up the bottom(plus the throb of their deisil engines..)There is also lotsa krill and baitfish around..so thats a gd sign..of course there will still be the odd ele around for a while thats slow to spawn..and Zac..from now on , over the recent years seem to get smaller around this time..have the smaller/younger ones got eggs?

yellowfin
    Participant

Birdlingsflat

yellowfin
    Participant

Released the really small ones but the slightly bigger one I kept had eggs

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.