Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

nice,that’s a decent size one,ive only ever caught small ones. Im heading up to kaikoura sat night/sunday and am gonna try a whole bunch of baits,I may have to try this cooked shrimp theory.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

theres a secret to it..though..tie the shrimp on your hook the put a small sliver of squid onthe hook..then ya got both bases covered.. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Schoolie on prawn is a unusual catch. I personally would not combine Shrimp and Squid, because squid would encourage the doggies/Red Cod to take the bait.

beameer
    Participant

Hi Birdlings
    had the same idea so me and the missus plus a scud driver and navagator went for a look only just got home but we all got elles and the missus got a nice rig home by 10.00
    last wave a bit dumpy but fishable
    beameer

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

it worked today with no doggies or cod(I was hedging my bets)common sense for me if they are getting eles on squid all along the beach..incidently the chaps fishing to one side of me only got one ele in the time I landed 5(I released 3)between them..ahh but thats fishing!!..I was using a double rig and sometimes no squid …the schoolie took a double prawn bait..could have been just like the bloke catching all the fish outa one side of the boat..his mate didnt even get a bite..or was it the smell on his hands or the way he smiled..im off to new world tomorrow anyway.fishing with prawns is much funnier when you tell the girl behind the counter your using them as bait!WHAT she said..what a waste!!Freshly fried fillets tonight for tea proves her very wrong..

OH SHIT now Beamer youll me asking me all the time now!!..good score mate!now what were you using for bait…carrots???

beameer
    Participant

Thanks anyway Birdling
    but we were going out anyway I be 1min from sea and its no probs another shot of the Missus

beameer
    Participant

squid mate plus one 1 week old crab leg!!!!!!!!!!!

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

very good looks like we are both close to the briney..stop in if ya ever over this way..cheers

the birdlings flat tunnel

so SQUID seems to be the biggy!….trouble is I cant munch on it like I do the prawns while Im fishing… :lol: :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

I woulda got out this week but swellmap said at least 2 meter swells looking up to 5 meters over the weekend so I didn’t bother. Sea surface temp is meant to be 16.1 at the moment so it’s warming up. Might head up for a fish at the pier or lyttelton this weekend haven’t been up for ages now.

Miliwolf – Schoolies on prawn is pretty common although I never had one on crab

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

went out at 5 am this morning 2 eles and one rig..limiting myself to 2 eles per day..took 2 hours..big dumpy waves shitty fishing…both eles foul hooked..rig on prawn

beameer
    Participant

We went out last night between 6.00 and 8.30 sea quite rough but still managed to get a couple of elle’s ,also had a hit from something “big” but never hooked up properly or got a chance to see it.Going out this afternoon for a look although it is pretty windy.

yellowfin
    Participant

Was keen to go somewhere tomorrow. But the wind/swell is not looking good. Any ideas on an ok place to go??

Would Pendarves/Dorie be any better than birdlings???
    Or would I be better off heading up kaikoura ways??

yellowfin
    Participant

Always better heading north lol. Generally Dorie etc will be similar conditions as birdlings. I usually check swellmap for swell conditions but it’s not always 100% accurate. I woulda been out fishing if swellmap said anything below 2 meter swells but obviously it’s still been fishable so you just gotta get out and try, although meant to be over 4 meter swells tonight..

Went to the Pier for a bait fish today got a good amount of mullet, seems that was all that was around apart from a few small Kahawai. Meant to be a club competition on at South Rakaia tomorow but I’m not even gonna bother it’s just not worth it fishing these comps during the middle of the day and catching dogfish after dogfish and maybe a skate or small schoolie if you’re lucky.

beameer
    Participant

A couple of us went out this afternoon, fished high until 06.30 got an elle my navigator got a large grey boy and had his hook broken after a serious battle with something………quite big!
    Have to say that the conditions were the most difficult I have struck for some time large sea :twisted: discoloured water and a quite severe rip coming from the south the couple of positives were it was a beautiful off shore and stinking hot
    :shock:

fishforpot
    Participant

Crikey , I would never park my hilux like you guys have parked ….mind you hilux aint that great on that sorta ground ..those we 4wd’s are the business alright …

Oh , and why has someone stabbed that fish in the vagina ?

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.