Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

fishforpot

Miliwolf
    Participant

Zac, Was there any sign of Moki around the wharf?

fishforpot
    Participant

A mate fished Baileys this morning , bugger all wind , 2 mtr swells from the east/south east …..massive rip along the beach …..water was clearish
    Caught 2 rig , 12 and 18 lb …..a small elephant head on the beach ….

elmo22
    Participant

fished bayleys on sat morn 5.30….9.30 got nothing saw a nice size fish caught in front of were drive though i was to to right approx 400 to the right had fresh pipi,crab and frozen squid.. saw one old elely head on beach

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Coopers Lagoon Sunday morning for a club comp. Was a fairly big swell like fishforpot said and incoming tide fished for a few hours from around 7am to 10am with crab baits but caught nothing so ended up packing up and not registering for the competition. Hooked a massive piece of sea weed that had me walking 200 or so meters down the beach taking line and putting up a fight before my line snapped. There was some elephant fish heads on the beach from the night before though but the sea was calmer on Saturday. They were getting a few schoolies on Saturday as well but still no decent sized ones.

Sea might be fishable on Tuesday/Wednesday but then it’s heading up to 4 or 5 meter swells for the weekend according to swellmap.

fishforpot
    Participant

I keep getting reports from Baileys that nothing is caught , when either myself , or my mate have been down at spot x at the same time ….constantly I find its either a good catch , or full on fishing , vrs nothing caught at all …..

The water is deeper sure , maybe its fresh water seeping from the lake ….or shellfish beds just offshore …..but its way way better fishing further along

Actually the more I think about it , the deeper the water the more chance shellfish have to survive the huge seas down that bit of the coast ….

When I say deeper , a 100mtr cast often leaves the line a foot above the dropoff , often in the breaking wave …..and you gotta wait for the sinker to hit the bottom before tensioning the line

yellowfin
    Participant

Wouldn’t it make for harder fishing in rough conditions being such a big drop off? I found at one of the beaches I’ve been to a couple times south of ashburton that the the drop off seems to be really steep and leaves the line really low in the water almost looks like the line would be touching the bottom right at the drop off if you don’t have a long enough rod or rod holder to keep it up which can’t be good for your line especailly in rough conditions.

fishforpot
    Participant

Well not really , when there’s a big rip running it can be hard …..but its only a small section of line in the break , not 20-30 mtrs like a shallow beach …

Hard to make an accurate call tho , I tend to pick my days carefully ………..

I have noticed tho , some days we never need to move our rod holders/gear etc back up the beach as the tide comes in …cause the beach shelves off quicker the dropoff doesnt shift bugger all ……

Been a few years since Ive fished where joe public goes at Baileys tho , but even the sand hills are a lot higher further down …..hard to recall exactly what it used to be like ….. quite frankly I wouldnt bother going back there …

beameer
    Participant

Hi guys we have caught approx 2 dozen elephants over the last couple of weeks between Rakaia mouth and Baileys :grin: :lol:

HIPP
    Participant

Nice fish beamer,

Would you like share your bait/ tide/ time/choices that have atributed to your sucesss?

You obviously have it sorted, well done.

Cheers, Hipp

beameer
    Participant

Hi Hipp,
    bait fresh squid c/o Pak n Save Hornby ,we just fish whatever the tides does’t really matter caught them any time most important is just being able to have sea conditions right and being able to get out at short notice.Caught in dirty water,clean water morning ,evening and over a distance of 20kms

HIPP
    Participant

Thanks beamer,

Yes the benifit of getting on to it when the conditions prevail, thats the ticket.
    looks quite calm where you were, interesting quite a few people go good with the squid, I just seem to catch doggies on it.
    The cooked prawns have had best Elephant results for me and crab for Rig and the odd Elephant.
    Thanks for the feed back, I hope to get out tomorrow night or Thursday at Coopers lagoon.
    Cheers, Hipp P.S is the CRC on the bench for a secret recipie :)

beameer
    Participant

Hi Hipp
    crc stops me squeeking or so the missus says, we have had some good days at Coopers I hope to get out myself over the next day or so ,just depends of course on the sea conditions looks like it may well be good for the next few days
    will keep you posted
    Cheers
    Beameer

Miliwolf
    Participant

collected a bucket of massve cockles off the beach tonight near the diversion, the large waves over the last few days must have exposed them. Hopefully they would bring more luck then the razor clams I collected last year after a similar sea.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

So this afternoon I had a go at the cooked shrimp theory..5 eles 1 schoolie and a small rig.all in half an hour just 300metres south of bayleys

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.