Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Birdlingsflat
    Participant

ta yeah he riddles his brain with optimism when I arrive home with a fish..havent told him this ones for the smoker.. :???:

Mal
    Participant

Hey nice fish B/F, whats your method for smoking these, preperation, ingredients etc ?

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

behead,gills,guts,fins away..split it..hang em for half a day or overnight..let the moisture out.de-skin and fillet….rub herbs/cajun/salt lightly into the fillets..Im cold smoking this time for 12hrs -there are thousands of ways to smoke fish..this is only one..seems to work on rig well(hopefully)..heres a piccy of my cold smoke machine-uses less power than a light bulb and can run for 8 hrs on one sawdust fill..im using wine infused barrel dust and manuka chips this time

yellowfin
    Participant

Maori fishing calender says it is supposed to be crap fishing for the next five days or so.
    Everyone who goes out in that time could they post here,good or bad so we can get a
    handle on wether or not there is some truth in it or if its bollocks or not.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Up north i fished the maori calender bad days for many years and did alright/fish numbers and habits..weather patterns..its all changed since it was devised/fished all the low tides/wrong moon phases I fished ,quite often saw good fish..but hey even if there were none it was bloody good fun..nobody uses liver soaked in kero anymore either… :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes you are right.Standing watching your rod tip and watching the world go by beats mowing lawn hands down.I fished Amberly last nite but no bites, just watched the earlybirds letting off fireworks along the coastline and hummed ommmmm.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

ahhh my..gravel lawn ommmmmmm.. :grin:

PierMaster
    Participant

I fished amberley last night too i got 2 rig one 12.3lb other 24.6lb had 4 drops, fished from 10pm till 1.30am

“>
    “>
    “>

yellowfin
    Participant

I went home too early.Left when you arrived.I dont normally fish in the dark, but maybe I should give it a longer stint.Also left my headlamp at home and it was a bitch baiting up.Those are nice looking rig,well done.Did you get them on crab or prawn?

PierMaster
    Participant

crab :)

HIPP
    Participant

Nice fish guys, grouse smoker birdlings, looks very well made. Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

damn, every one seems to catch rig but me. Ive never ever caught one, ive tried fishing daytime and night time and ive tried squid, mussells, cooked prawns and yellow eyed mullet. What does it take!!!??

fishforpot
    Participant

crab …..simple as that

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I don’t know how to get crabs nor do I generally have the time to try get crab anyway.

Can I buy crab anywhere?

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=352914&name=seafood-bar-crab-swimmer-half-cut
    Would this be any good?

yellowfin
    Participant

This would be better

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR … prR=1&z=16

although I’ve never used any of these. A basket made out of chicken wire and dropped to the bottom with some bait in it, left for a while and then quickly retrieved works as well. We get them when drag netting for flounders too.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.