Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Although its probably been colder, it does not seem as winterly as it did last winter.

troutfishernz
    Participant

For the 3rd winter in a row im yet to see any Red cod caught around the Timaru area. Must be fished out or Something. When I first moved down here in 2007 there was heaps around.

Anyone know if there is Sevengillers caught in Tasman Bay? Im going up to Motueka in November and wondering if they catch some of the Shark species that are around Canterbury?

shark slayer
    Participant

red cod fishing in canterbury has been shit for a while now,the trawlers have destroyed the population,you can still get a few at birdlings flat etc but not enough to even bother fishing for them,you will catch a million doggys before you get 5 cod.Went on a red cod mission to kaikoura last sunday,arrived after dark at 7.30 pm,fished the beach behind the caves store,caght doggys and a nice conger <a href="“>(sorry about the shit photo’s they were taken on a phone.) i started losing gear to stone bruising and didn’t have many sinker’s so changed spot’s.I went and had a look at the new wharf but decided not to fish as it was quite swelly,it had an awesome vibe with the neon lights and hundreds of sea gull’s were floating just off shore.Then i went to the railway station and fished till about 2.30am with no luck on the cod just doggy’s and a skate <a href="“>
    The next day i decided my luck would improve if i moved further up the beach to the sand and where the bottom flatten’s out,i fished the last 2 hours of the incoming and got 6 nice cod in between doggys’ <a href="“>
    The next day the condition’s were shit after the southerly blow came through but i fished the incoming and after getting 3 more nice big cod i was happy so i headed back to christchurch.Not to bad for my first surfcast in kaikoura and i have a good supply of red cod fillet’s wich i am having for tea tonight…i don’t care what anyone says it is yum!!

troutfishernz
    Participant

shark slayer

Miliwolf
    Participant

Doggies are also not bad eating they are just plain, similar to red cod. Skate are quite tasty but difficult to fillet.

smells like fish
    Participant

where as rig taste so much better than doggies imo

yellowfin
    Participant

just returned from two days in kaikoura, Managed to bring home 16 cod out of the 20 i got and lost a few also, Only got half a dozen doggys, A Small schoolie and a octopus,

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am bit surprised you did not catch any skates or congers, did you go surfcasting or fish the wharf the whole time?

yellowfin
    Participant

i also were suprised. yes fished the beach yesterday and got fish between 7 and lunch then it went quiet, Someone else got a very small skate, possibly the smallest i have ever seen, at maybe 30cm across, and no congers, reason i lost a fair few cod was they also kept hitting my wee rod with tiny tiny hooks on them so guess they couldnt get a good grab

smokin’ joe
    Participant

troutfishernz

Miliwolf
    Participant

Might have to go out for a surfcast shortly, once the rain clears and the floods drain away… been a while since I surfcasted during winter but I am convinced the red cod would still be in good numbers up here.

Duckman
    Participant

try around the bar mouth, use to catch good numbers few years back, but mainly at night

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, Just inside the bar mouth at slack tide use to be extremely productive for cod over winter, but think I would go somewhere more scenic like Blind river.

yellowfin
    Participant

go to kaikoura on friday or sat Thomas i will more than likely be back there

Miliwolf
    Participant

I only head to Kai at this time of year when the forecast looks good for spearfishing. Forecast is currently 1-1.5m so maybe not….

Might head to Westport, but would prefer a smaller sea.

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.