Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

[quote:268tba5g]Glow beads are luminescent beads, which are sometimes used on branchlines just above the hook. The theory is that the beads, being luminescent, will help to attract fish to the baited hook, much the same as a lightstick does. Some fishermen claim that glow beads attract some bycatch species, such as snake mackerel. In any event, they are not widely used.

Source: http://www.spc.int/Coastfish/sections/D … LL/HLL.pdf

If they are so effective as you claim, why are they not widely used by commercial long liners?, or are you claiming the Secretariat of the Pacific Community is spreading misinformed information in their report?

I am keen to read any non anecdotal evidence. Peered reviewed studies would be preferred but I would accepted non peered reviewed studies if they have a robust and fair methodology. Does using Lumo reduce the chance of catching fish while Surfcasting, I have not noticed it, does Lumo increase the chance of catching fish I have not noticed it.

><>

Rockfisher, most of the substances you listed are UV based not Lumo. They are two different concepts. Lumo typically glows a bright green which gives of light predominately near the middle of the visible colour Spectrum. Ultra Violet light is off the end of the visible spectrum’. If something is glowing UV we* would not see it glowing, we can not see UV. (Although Black Lights kind-of allows us to see it). Its possible for one substance to contain both Lumo and Ultra violet compounds. These plentiful evidence in support of UV being a attractant, I have let to see anything statistically verified that claims the slight amount of glow produced from Luminous tubes (and beads) is enough to significantly increase the catch rate of fish while Surfcasting.

* A few people claim to be able to see into Ultra Violet, more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachrom … rachromats.

yellowfin
    Participant

For god sake guys its just bloody Lumo

Miliwolf
    Participant

Its just a bit of fun, and a chance to expand our knowledge on how added light influences the success of fishing.

St_Paul
    Participant

Hmm, don’t think it makes bugger all difference in shallow water. flashy bling is probably more effective. At depth It assists heaps. And UV and luminescent are not the same thing….

Mili spends more time fishing than anyone I know Including some commercial guys, and charter captains, he is very knowledgable and passionate about all aspects of his sport!
    Most of what he says is based on many many hours spent fishing so what he says is relevant. (He’s a crap fly caster but :wink: )
    I respect the fact that fishy bishy has been involved with the industy for years but listen to mili, fishy, he probably spends more of his hard earned on tackle than us married blokes can get away with. If you have new products let him test them at least you’ll get an honest and experience based answer.

But get your axes out and have a grind if it makes ya feel better

Duckman
    Participant

i have tried a glow stick on my trace near the hook and well nothing took the bait, left it on for a couple of casts then removed it, after removing it got a doggie so maybe they don’t work or it could be just me

PierMaster
    Participant

ive seen moki caught at night off the kaikoura wharf with no bait on sabikis, the guy only caught them when the lumo beads were charged up by the light O_o

yellowfin
    Participant

And ive seen them caught ona fly lol

shark slayer
    Participant

hey boy’s,been reading this thread for a while,thought i better start contributing.Fishing’s been hard going lately wich is typical of south island winter’s,but here’s a few giller’s from earlier in the year,and a salmon wich i got a week or so ago.“>..YUM.never uploade pictures before so hope they work.
    “>[/url:2znpfpmu]
    ]“>“>
    “>
    “>“>http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1171/perakisevengill2.jpg

all sharks were released.salmon was 7kg caught at peraki heads on a floate pilchard.it’s a akaroa salmon farm escapee not a sea run quinat.

shark slayer
    Participant

forgot to mention,a shark tried to take a bite at the salmon on the way up.any idea’s as to what would be around in june??a seal??just saw splashing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Same good catches there shark slayer, is that sevengiller white?

yellowfin
    Participant

ive seen gillers that colour

elmo22
    Participant

well do on the sharks what beaches you get them at

shark slayer
    Participant

thanks.yea that one was weird look’s albino haha.not sure why some are different colour like that,maybe the territory they spend time in like skates are different colour,although that one was from birdling’s/aerials,the rest are from peraki bay.tried for some moki in the bay tonight,burlyd up a storm big mullet showed up strait away.nothing was taking the prawn under a float so switched to a ledger rig,just some bastard red cod.casted out into the middle of the bay once i got bored of no moki,doggy took the prawn and a skate took the doggy haha.gave up after that…nice night tho clear sky no wind and a bright orange moon!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thought about targeting Moki myself, but decided trout fishing was less effort and more likely to bring success.

The evenings are becoming noticeably longer, so much get out for a surfcast before to long.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yup shortest day has been so should be getting lighter

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.