Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Went fishing of Karaka last night, not a trip worth reporting.

Nice conditions, no KY and only capture was a orange reef fish with a big mouth. After dark went squidding, casted out a Snapper rod then lost my car key. Was a worrying 10-15 minutes trying to find them in the dark, left them on a rock near my gear. No squid, but did have something suck on my Snapper bait. Probably a Ray, saw several cruising around.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Decided late in the afternoon to go for a surf fish. Went to Blind River because its possible to park close to the beach without actually driving onto the beach.

Three Surfcasters, two fishing crabs and one with Kahawai. Nice conditions. . Rigs were striking occasionally, but did not hook up until after dark when one grabbed a decent size black crab which Booger caught under the rocks at Jackson bay. Bit latter hooked and landed a large Rig on a paddle crab.. by then the southerly was gaining strength so went home.

oh yeah, decided to fish Kahawai. In the low chance a school of Snapper went past, only caught a very small carpet shark on it after dark.

elmo22
    Participant

went to bayleys on firday night got there about 6pm the first hr was nothing then got a grey boy and some dogs about 8 30pm got a medium size rig left at 9.15 stayed in caravan in car park out again at 6am first cast got in nice size rig and a few dogs left at 9.30am had no bites from 7am to the time i left cray fish for bait got them

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been three days since my last fish of any kind :cry:

Must get out tomorrow… maybe overnight trip to the outer sounds. Might even take my Kayak. So many options… but would prefer to go trout fishing :cry:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Explored a new spot this weekend, Clova bay to be exact. About a two and a half hour drive from Blenheim.

The Bay itself is quite boring, mainly shallow beaches, they would produce Snapper but I can not imagine them being hot, mussel farms close to shore. Towards the edges of the bay there was same nice looking points, that is where I headed.

So I eventually found myself on a 4wd drive track, and then a grass track down the side of the hill. Was quite a distance to walk from where I left the car, around 1.3km to be exact. Could of driven a little further to a nice campground but its a steep track and I did not feel confident enough to drive back up it.

The track down to the point is of a high standard, a most impressive job by whoever did it. At the point there is permanent rod holders, but more importantly a nice deep drop off (Its on a cliff so I got sore toes after a while). I really like the spot. Has kingfish potential! Not worth the effort just for Snapper.

Fishing was quite slow, only a few Blueys during the day, a few strong runs and drops then I caught a Barry… and the strikes stopped. Rain was threating towards dusk, but the Snapper had just turned up. Landed a small pannie, then a bigger pannie and it was raining. Took around 35 minutes to get back to the car in the dark. I was more then a little wet.

On the way back out, had a nice fat hind in the headlights for several hundred meters. Tried to take a photo but she managed to slip away. She was most embarrassed. The night was still young, and the rain was ending (Dunno wither I should be pleased or angry about that) Under a starry sky I drove to the wharf in Clova Bay. Access is easy, but its not a good looking spot and I caught nothing apart from sea lice. Back to the campground and bed shortly after midnight.

Woke up around 8am, the campground is a cold miserable place in the morning. Was to lazy to go for a fish, or even a Kayak. So drove back to the Kenepuru and tried a spot I discovered the day before. From memory its between Waitaria and Ohauparuparu Bay. Soon had a few garfish in the burly trail, which were joined by a few mullet. Around lunch I landed a Pannie and got a few more interesting looking strikes but I was out of bait (thrown most of it in for burley ) . Nice enough spot, but there are better spots closer to town.

Miliwolf
    Participant

After the cold southerly storm blew threw I headed off to the Sounds for a Snapper fish, tide was quite high so had a refreshing deep wade to reach my spot. A little breeze kept things cool and the sun quickly sunk beneath the hills so I gain little warmth from that. The sky was nearly free of clouds, and the wind died away and the temperature dropped even further, but with three layers of fleece it was okay.

My bait was being stolen even after dark, which is quite unusual for the Sounds, after dark the Snapper gained in confidence and moved in closer to feed so I started getting a few strikes and even managed to land two, could not stay to late so headed back to the car at 10:30.

elmo22
    Participant

well done miliwolf how big were they

Miliwolf
    Participant

Both pannies, the bigger of the two would be over 30cm.

elmo22
    Participant

hey fishforpot have you been out to your spot at bayles lately have not heard from you much whats going on???

Miliwolf
    Participant

Was hoping to head out for a Rig fish Thursday/Friday when the tides are right but it looks like a southerly would be blasting through.

Might be able to sneak out Wednesday night, hope its late arriving.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The Pannies were feeding hard last night, probably putting on weight for the lean months over winter. March and April has always been very productive Snapper fishing months me.

I decided to fish a spot which I have not fished since I changed my tactics, mainly because the tides did not suit fishing a few of my usual spots and I could not be bothered driving to the Kenepuru. I started fishing around 7:30pm but the best fishing was the first hour or so after dark, by 9:30 I was still getting strikes but only landed a couple more fish. All up 8 pannies were landed.

Was a great overcast night, the cloud cover kept the temperature pleasant and it was calm most of the time. Just the occasional light breeze which got more consistent around 10pm.

“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

St_Paul
    Participant

Sorry only got your text this morning. Is that karaka pt in the background? Might have to head out tonight for a fish.

fishforpot
    Participant

Been out the once elmo , maybe 4-5 weeks ago ….. might have been longer , a bunch of smallish rig and a few schoolies of no size …

Was pondering heading out tonight , but couldnt be stuffed ….seas been a little rough , I like to relax , and fish ultralite if I can …. dont enjoy struggling against large seas , not that I struggle myself , but always end up babysitting whoever I take out , if you know what I mean …

I did hear there was heaps of large ele’s out there weekend before last ….

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went Surfcasting last night, First rod in the water around 7:20 and landed a Moki within 10 minutes. The fishing went into decline from there. Paul turned up just before I landed the Moki and we had 5 Rods fishing. The rig were out there, because the crab baits were getting smashed but I only managed to land one and we went through about 20 baits. Also caught a small red cod on a mussel bait, after that I used crabs only.

The night was warm and the sea was fairly calm, the only downside was the occasional wind gust which would sand blast us. We finished fishing around 10:00

Miliwolf
    Participant

Another Snapper fish and another pannie Snapper. Conditions were okay, a bit gusty at first but it died down… Had quite a few nibbles and short runs which make me think a few small pannies were out there.

The lack of big Snapper is starting to annoy me, this season started so well with two good fish back in October then nothing but pannies….

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.